Update on Chinchilla/Pine Discussion

I was discussing pine cage construction with someone and asked whether he used kiln-dried wood, or just picked up whatever pine was at the store. His reply was, "The pine I used was kiln dried from a hardware store - if its not kiln dried it could contain phenol oils which could cause problems." (He is in England). This might answer the question someone was trying to find out about turpentines being driven off by a kiln. I don't know if the "phenol oils" are the answer, but could be.

I wonder if smaller hardware stores or real lumber yards might have kiln-dried as compared to HD or Lowes.

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

I apologize for my bad advice. Phenols?

Reply to
toller

Can't say I know anything about what kind of chemicals are found in wood, but turpentine is in there I suppose phenols could be, too. Maybe I'll ask the other guy where he got his information.

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

"Dan White" wrote in news:mRXGd.1414$ snipped-for-privacy@fe11.lga:

I can buy it from the 'real lumberyard' here. It isn't inexpensive, but then, how much do you really need?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Reply to
Doug Goulden

from another citation on lab research, it is the volatile oils in pine and other woods that causes respiratory problems in small animals." So, there appear to be a couple of sources (maybe not independent) that mention phenol oils.

Yes, chins are amusing, and I'm also finding them pretty unpredictable.

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

But we still don't know if the drying method affects phenols...

Reply to
toller

Well I think the inference is that the kiln drying volatilizes the oils, driving them off. The question is whether they will volatilize on their own over time at ambient temps.

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

Pine _used_ to be treated with pentachlorophenol to kill bluestain fungus. Imagine kiln-drying would have accelerated its vaporization.

George