Unisaw with 2 wings only.

I'm in the process of gathering information about a unisaw for my small shop. I am looking for a 3hp left tilt unisaw with 2 cast iron wings and a Biesmeyer fence. I don't want any extension table however due to the space limitations of my basement shop. I've looked all over but can't find this combination of features. Can you tell me if this setup exists who might sell it?

Thanks, Will

Reply to
Will

It doesn't seem to be a package they sell today (I know, I looked). On the other hand, there's nothing to prevent you from not installing the extension table and cutting the fence rails down to whatever size you want. Or cutting the extension table down to something less than it's full length.

I'm not sure how the mobile base would work, though. The lift mechanism is in the part of the assembly that goes under the extension table. If you wanted a mobile base without the extension table, you might have to go with a third-party one.

Reply to
Roy Smith

I doubt this exists - you probably have to get it with at least a 30" rip capacity. The extension wing + saw table is about 40" wide anyway, so this only adds 10" to the width. I think you'll appreciate having greater than ~

20" rip capacity, as well. I have the 50" Biesemeyer Unisaw in a pretty tight shop area, and I feel the capacity more than makes up for the space hindrance. If you can fit it, even tightly, it should be worth it. I am in a garage, though, so I can open the door and make use of the entire saw capacity when needed.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

|I'm in the process of gathering information about a unisaw for my small |shop. I am looking for a 3hp left tilt unisaw with 2 cast iron wings and a |Biesmeyer fence. I don't want any extension table however due to the space |limitations of my basement shop. I've looked all over but can't find this |combination of features. Can you tell me if this setup exists who might |sell it?

I'm going through what you're going through. It seems that most of the manufacturers have decided that everyone needs a huge table and a

50" fence. (and now they've added routers and router cabinets....)

Unless I'm missin' sumpthin (always a good possibility but if I am, several people will let me know in short order) in my situation I fail to see the need for anything more than 30" rip capability. I want to do some cabinets where I will be using sheet goods, but nothing is over 22"-24" deep so if I can handle that what more do I need. Without an expanse of in-feed and out-feed tables (ain't gonna happen in my workspace) I'm not about to try and slice up 4 x 8 sheets; I use a straight edge and a circular saw for that.

The Grizzly G1023SL has two iron wings, 26" rip capacity and what I believe is a Beismeyer clone fence.

For only twice the money the Powermatic PM-66 P/N 660802 comes with one iron extension and one made of cardboard...I mean "a laminated extension."

Other than those, General, Jet and Delta all seem to have forgone the compact format.

Good luck with the hunt.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

I think part of it is that it just doesn't save any significant manufacturing cost to build a 30" fence. Everything is the same except for the length of the rail extrusion and the piece of particleboard they give you for an extension table. The small amount you save in materials on those two items is probably lost in the extra overhead of stocking two different items.

Reply to
Roy Smith

You can order a Unisaw in almost "any" configuration. You want a "base" Unisaw with a 30" fence.

30" fence is the shortest fence available unless you cut it off.

Will wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

FWIW, where you to buy from a local tool dealer, you should be able to specifiy the setup you want. Back when I bought a Unisaw I originally wanted a 36" fence and was told "No problem, we'll make it however long you want, to up max length".

Online, you are likely stuck with standard configurations.

Reply to
Swingman

Have you guys actually talked to a DEALER, or simply browsed online?

I'll bet you can get all of the above with a 30-31" fence if it's ordered in. I've heard rumors that some saws can be purchased with no fence at all, but the option is not normally stocked, especially by web vendors.

Personally, I went with a 52" fence because it gives me 20 something inches of area to put my clipboard, jig clamps, etc... down, and still have 30" of rip capacity. The saw, long table, and matching outfeed make for a nice, big assembly area, as well.

Even if you get a short fence, an extension table an outfeed that match the saw can be used for assembly.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

|You can order a Unisaw in almost "any" configuration. |You want a "base" Unisaw with a 30" fence. | |

||The 30" fence is the shortest fence available unless you |cut it off.

Thanks. I have their paper catalog right here and don't know how I missed that one. Just lookin' at the pictures I guess.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

I too looked and looked, called Delta and several suppliers, and found you can't order a Unisaw except in a package and none had a right side cast iron wing.

I had to buy the regular Unisaw plus a right side cast iron wing. Then I had to cut down the extension table so the wing would fit. Extra work, extra expense, but I wanted both wings made of cast iron.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

So you have 2 10" cast iron wings, or 30", to the right of the blade?

Reply to
Swingman

Will, Call Redmond Machinery in Atlanta. 1-800-428-9898 They shipped me a factory reconditioned Unisaw with two cast iron wings, no extra table, and a 30" Bies Fence. Cheap too, and I can't tell it's not brand new. The fence IS brand new.

DonkeyHody

Reply to
DonkeyHody

The Delta mobile base I recently purchased has mounting holes for the lift mechanism on the saw part of the base and on the table part of the base. In fact, it came with two different levers... one with a long extension arm and the other just a foot lever.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Could you explain WHY you had to cut down the extension table?? Just let the extension table hang out the extra 13 inches or so unless you are just so cramped for space that it was not possible

John

Reply to
John Crea

It was a space thing.