unisaw: only for guys who bought a BRAND NEW one! (1st owners only, please)

this post is directed ONLY to unisaw owners who bought their saws BRAND NEW, *not* 'used' (like I did). *or* for folks who actually WORKED on delta's assembly line BUILDING the unisaws.

folks who bought their saws used wouldn't have any REASON to know the

-answers- to these questions...

  1. was -your- new unisaw fully assembled when you got it on 'day one'?

  1. or was it 'mostly assembled, but not entirely'?

  2. if it wasn't FULLY assembled, did your saw come with a bag (or multiple bags, and/or small boxes) of fasteners, and other assorted small parts?

  1. if the answer to 4 (above) is affirmative, did you ever know what each and EVERY small parts IN those bags and boxes WERE?

  2. more specifically, when you bought your saw 'day one', was the cast iron top already fastened to the gray pedestal?

  1. anyone here know -with-certainty- if unisaws were offered for sale new in both fully assembled -and- 'partially assembled' versions?

yeah, same reasons for asking, guys :-)

thanks :-)

toolie, still wanting to 'shim up' my knowledge-base :-)

the original thread:

(new style) right tilt: blade has NO lower OR upper elevation stops? won't lower, binds at top... - rec.woodworking | Google Groups

offloading my (old, used) unisaw:

unisaw 'blade elevation worm and shim mysteries' site:

dave

I bought mine in March of this year from Amazon.

Except for the wings, table, and fence rails, yes.

Only the above.

Bags of bolts to attach the fence and wings. Other than there were minor things like the fence hangers and IIRC the dust port. Nothing major.

I don't recall any "spare parts" after I assembled it. There may have been extra bolts or washers but certainly none that were different than that already used (the table/fence didn't use all of the bolts supplied, as I recall).

Yep. I didn't even have to loosen it. The blade was aligned to the slot (the fence had to be adjusted a little). The stops were all correct, too. I was impressed with the quality of the saw, packaging, delivery (well, the fence took the great circle route to get here), and support.

Nope. I can only speak for a sample of one.

--

Reply to
keithw86

assembled except for the particleboard work surface. (Hmmm, I guess you'd technically call that partially assembled then) and there are no shims under the cast iron table.

The worm gear looks identical to yours, set screw toward the rear. However, mine appears to be positioned more forward on the shaft than yours, about 5/8" from the front bearing of the crank sharft. Yours seems to be much further back.

The saw came from Amazon.com. All I had to do was assemble the work surface table & fence support and attach it to the saw. But the main cast iron stuff was all assembled and shipped as one unit.

The upper and lower elevation stops are from the large bumps at the ends of gear that engages the worm gear. It actually hits the worm gear and stops at both ends of travel.

Reply to
dicko

dave wrote: ...

unequivocally "NO". If there were, they would be on the schematics.

Something is wrong in the assembly; as somebody else said, the large cogs on the end of the gear are the stops; if it hits something else before those it's out of adjustment or on wrong tooth.

Can't tell for sure, but first impression of the first picture still makes me wonder if that is the OEM motor--doesn't look like I'd expect a Unisaw OEM motor to look...

You've never answered the question of whether it is still 3PH or not...

--

Reply to
dpb

and you know this "unequivocally" because? you bought a UNISAW *NEW*? or just an opinionated WAG?

by 'schematics', guessing you mean the blowup/parts 'exploded view' drawings. interestingly, there's no MOTOR in those drawings either, at least not in the one's I downloaded and printed today from delta's site, for my 34-807. so, where's THAT 'line of thought' leave us?

there's no debate on the "fixed elevation stops" part of the sector gear; they're "a given"

there's no 'hitting' involved (and no binding, and NO broken parts inside my saw of any type. all that's been covered earlier). and no way it can be 'on a wrong tooth' either, seeing as we're talking about a single-start worm and sector (not spur gearing) relationship here.

dpb, I never answered your question regarding the motor (or the electrics on my saw) because

  1. Leon already answered the question FOR you. see about 85% down this page:

because the answer to your question (was never hidden and) is clearly posted in this picture anyway, and in the ones following it

with a great deal of other electrical info re my particular saw, and

  1. what motor's fitted 'on' my unisaw by who/when/where OR why has nothing to do with ANYthing regarding blade elevation (as long the motor's not binding, or hitting anything, which it isn't, of course).

thanks dpb :-)

well, thanks again all. at this point, the "final answer" on the top shims (as they say on that TV game show) is clear as mud. I'm not the

1st guy ever to have mentioned unisaw tops being shimmed upward: see post #7 by a user named 'bnadsaw' on this page:

this point, I think "some unisaw tops were shimmed up originally, but most weren't". to resolve it, though, I sent an inquiry this AM to delta online support, with links to this -&- the previous thread, and both my unisaw-related sites. hopefully, they'll reply with a definitive answer. maybe it's something we're ALL overlooking...

thanks :-)

Reply to
dave

No, I don't have a Unisaw but recall you looking for elevation stops on the saw. There is a reason that there are stops for the tilt, you want to easily find

45 and 90 degrees. There is really no reason for elevation stops and that might be why they are considered to be "built-in". Built in probably means that the worm gears reaches the end of travel on both ends of the rack.

Are you witnessing the worm gear reaching both extreme ends of the gear it engages?

Looking also at the shaft on the right end of the worm gear there appears to possibly be set screw scratch marks. Could the worm gear be too far forward on the shaft? Or not forward enough?

Could there be a shipping bracket that may have swung in to a position during transport with the saw laying on its side that may be blocking travel?

unisaw, (new style) right tilt: blade has NO lower OR upper elevation

Reply to
Leon

If you will have a look at this link,

'll see pictures of the crated and un-crated saw. This particular saw is/was sold with no fence but you can see that the wings are not installed although the main top is on. You can also see the assorted parts in the parts box.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

dave wrote: ...

That the motor is on a different schematic but that every little nut/bolt/washer otherwise in the assembly is shown.

Delta simply doesn't put things in during assembly willy-nilly...

If it's not on the parts list, it's not a part and never was. ...

... And they had such high resolution w/ dialup as to be impossible to look at in detail. I do admit it had slipped my mind since I had been gone a while that Leon had confirmed the saw in question did still have the 3PH motor; what I remembered was the exchange just ahead of that where he said "The schematic indicates a 3 phase 7.5 motor..." which isn't the same at all as the actual saw. OK, mea culpa, I should've recalled; I didn't. Shoot me.

I'll remember to not try to throw out any ideas I have to check next time. :(

--

Reply to
dpb

I do know the answer to some of your questions. Unfortunately, I don't fit in the the qualified category of people so I feel so helpless now.

I unpacked and assembles a Unisaw, but I was not the owner.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski