Woodworking Only....Please

This is a great site. I wish that people contributing to the newsgroup would stick to woodworking!

Philly

Reply to
philly

This isn't a "site", it's a usenet group (and an unmoderated one, at that). Keeping on topic and spam away is a futile effort....actually, the signal:noise ratio here is pretty good w/ only occasional attacks and a couple of mini-trolls.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

rec.woodworking is currently under attack by a mentally disturbed person/persons who is/are impersonating regular members, posting messages ito other newsgroups and setting the "followup" header to this group.

There are effective filtering techniques that can remove these posts from your view. I don't use Outlook Express or Windows so I can't give you specific instructions, but would recommend you investigate OE's ability to do this.

Standard Advice: Ignore, Filter, Help others to do the same.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

So why are you initiating a thread that's not related to woodworking?

The best th> This is a great site. I wish that people contributing to the

newsgroup

Reply to
Mike Reed

The best response to off-topic posts is to ignore them, never acknowledge them and never try to assume the role of newsgroup policeman. The off-topic posters are seeking attention and ANYTHING you do or say to them - good or bad - will be interpreted as attention.

Just - flat - ignore - them...as though the weren't there at all.

Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

Duane,

Thanks for your comment. But, I meant site as in "location", not as in website! I've been stumbling around the internet for well over 10 years and on compuserv for many years before that. I recognize that usenet traffic predates the internet as we know it today and certainly predates the web, which post-dates the internet. Yes, I understand the difference between a usenet newsgroup and a website, thank you very much...:)

Philly

Reply to
philly

Philly,

These days, ya' never know...the choice of words/phrases wasn't such as to instill a feeling of long-term user...but, whatever.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth