Unisaw arbor bearing replacement

-------------------------------------------------------- "Spalted Walt" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Has nothing to do with "brinelling" as applied to ball bearings.

SFWIW, "brinelling" is a term unique to the ball bearing industry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- I got paid real money to design ball bearing systems back in the days when I worked in the engineering department or a rotating equipment manufacturer.

What part of ball bearing design and application would you like to discuss?

As far as age is concerned, I was here before the first A-bomb was dropped.

What is your excuse?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lets discuss the part where I ASSUMED it was common knowledge that the proper way to press a bearing on a shaft was to apply pressure to the inner race ONLY. Never the seal and never the outer race.

--> parts diagram posted in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

What I failed to mention was (for the sake of brevity) is the bearing puller, when flipped over, is flat (not concave) on the back side.

I am planning to use this FLAT side of the puller to push Item #143 (steel spacer) which will be butted up against ONLY the inner race of the bearing Item #142.

You obviously ASSUMED I would be removing the entire arbor assembly ("You are going to take the arbor and bearings to the arbor press") when in fact I'm probably going to remove the shaft only, for a number of reasons.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Here's a link to the actual Delta pdf for the 'binary challenged'...

which is the Google shortened version of this:

Spalted Walt

Using a "very" straight edge, make a long line on the top of the saw with the straight edge on both sides of the blade. Makes putting the top back on much easier.

Removing the bearing with out removing the top is silly to even attempt.

Here is a complete restoration method detailed in pictures:

for your bearing, go to:

and then order from:

You need to order from Lynne using the correct numbers.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I should have mentioned that a Unisaw weight is 380 lbs trimmed out.

The top is heavy and should be moved by two people for safety and common sense reasons.

I would take the arbor assembly to a machine shop for bearing removal and replacement because they will have the proper tools to do it correctly.

Screwing up the install will screw up both the bearing and the arbor shaft.

Reply to
Pat Barber

So you're saying Jesper Gronvaldt is full of crap in his detailed description of how to do it without removing the top,

along with others that have done it quite successfully?

A complete restoration is not needed on my Unisaw. It looks and runs as if it were manufactured a year ago (although it's 12 yrs old) and has relatively few hours on it. I merely noticed the distinct sound of dry clicking bearings while spinning the blade with the belts removed. From what I've read Delta is notorious for using low quality Chinese bearings and charging $25 bucks for the same poor quality replacements.

Sorry, Lynne lost a sale. I expect them to arrive today or tomorrow, USPS priority mail. Oh, and the correct number/size is 6203. At $5.55 a piece with free shipping, I doubt Lynne could have beat the price on 6203-2NSE Nachi bearings anyway.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Yes I do... I have completely restored two Delta saws from the ground up and I am very familiar with the process.

I did a 34-450 Unisaw(1971) and a (1966) 34-350 12/14" Tilting Arbor Saw.

Sounds like a great deal... Do you think the bearing that came in the saw cost $5.55 each when the saw was built ?

Didn't you wonder why the folks at the Saw Center did it that way ? Hint: They do it for a living.

Reply to
Pat Barber

------------------------------------------------------- That gets half the job done.

BTW, most folks know what ASSUMED gets you, perhaps you have forgotton.

STFWIW, there are more 6203 bearings made than all the other ball bearings combined.

Your renewal parts price is about right,

Probably could have walked into any bearing supply house and bought a couple across the counter and saved the freight.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sorry, but I trust Steve Shanesy's judgement (of Popular Woodworking) on this more than yours.

Do yourself a favor and watch this informative Delta sponsored video of how the 'Pros' replace arbor bearings at Popular Woodworking and then get back to me on the importance of "taking the arbor assembly to a machine shop for bearing removal and replacement because they will have the proper tools to do it correctly."

You can skip ahead to about the 4 minute mark if you're pressed for time.

Yes, he has the top removed, because he's doing a COMPLETE restoration on a vintage 1944 Uni. Pay particular attention to the way he drives the shaft out of the arbor bracket and puts the new bearing on.

Are you serious? I'd guess Delta paid closer to $.75 ea buying in bulk from their Chinese bearing importer.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

---------------------------------------------------- Pat Barber wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- "Spalted Walt" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ Buy them books, they eat the covers.

Good luck.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Shipping was free and they arrived today!

Spalted Walt

Thanx

Reply to
Spalted Walt

What anti virus are you using? Vipre says tis ok.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

ESET NOD32 and apparently Norton caught it too. Mine submitted the threat to the software guys.

Reply to
Leon

Honestly I do not trust Norton at all, had it seemed to miss virus' and identify harmless java scripts for an email address as a problem. Symantec is run by bankers that adds to distrust and dislike of the company.

But that said the NPE program from Norton has fix two really bad problems I had in the past.

Hopefully if Saw Center has a problem the ESET people will let them know.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I trusted Norton but got tired of it taking control and eating up resources and then uninstalling some versions was a nightmare. I had a neighbor that is in the business build my current computer and he puts ESET on all of them. I will say that talking to them, ESET was an easy task totally unlike Norton.

Reply to
Leon

Let me be the first linux user to say, "Gee, I'm glad I don't have to worry about that." :)

Reply to
Larry W

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 15:32:23 -0500, Leon

Completely agree. Tried it for several weeks and then dumped it. Like you, I got tired of it taking over my system. I'm now using Zone Alarm and am very satisfied with it.

Reply to
Dave

Well with Apple running a version of linux you may have to worry.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Actually, Apple runs a form of unix derived from BSD. They are only similar in the sense that all unix-like operating systems are similar.

Reply to
Larry W