Evaporative cooler bearing replacement

Any tips on replacing the pulley-side blower bearing in a swamp cooler? I Googled it and got the basic instructions but little what-if help. Things rarely go that easily. Last time I had a terrible time getting the old bearing off the shaft. Had to finally hire someone to do it. I'd like to be prepared for problems like these ahead of time. When I last used it the bearing was ok but I'd like to replace it before it goes bad - the other bearing failed last summer so it's about due.

Yes, I oil them when preparing the cooler for the summer and a few times during the summer.

Any hints? Things to prepare for? Watch out for? Etc.?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

If you replaced it last summer and you think it is "due" something is wrong. Good bearings usually last years. Many years. Perhaps they should be greased, not oiled, for best lubrication and length of service.

Is this a sleeve or ball bearing? Protected from water and dirt? Shaft straight?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:sRaIA.9041$ snipped-for-privacy@fx09.iad:

"the other bearing failed last summer"

Not the one I will be chamging.

Sleeve.

By the side of cooler. Lots of dirty water splashing in cooler when running.

Yes.

Reply to
KenK

Try lubing it with glycerin...