undercabinet lighting for kitchen cabs

Does anyone have a favorite type of undercabinet lights? I haven't started building the uppers, so I can incorporate any design requirements of various types, if necessary.

todd

Reply to
todd

Wilson

I agonized over that question when I rehabbed my kitchen a couple of years ago. I hate fluorescents for undercabinet, I hate hockey pucks, and I hate halogen. That sort of narrows the field. I still didn't have any answers until I saw a fixture at my local lighting store.

They are made by Kichler and use a xenon bulb. The fixture is low profile, 120V, and chainable. They come in several sizes (multiples of six inches, as I recall). The xenon light is a much warmer light than the harsh halogens, and they are instant on (unlike the fluorescents), have two brightnesses (also unlike the fluorescents), and might be dimmable--I don't recall (again, unlike the fluorescents). Did I mention I don't like fluorescents for undercabinet?

They're a little on the pricey side, particularly at the local lighting store, but you might be able to do better on line. Also, for a one time, long time purchase, it seems a little extra money up front for the right fixtures pays off in the long run.

Reply to
LRod

When I rented a house a few years back it needed lighting under the cabinets. I bout a string of those diode rope-lights and it worked great was able to conform to all the necessary curves and stayed hidden. Worked for me :-)

Al

Reply to
Al

Todd, Also take a look at the zenon under cabinet lights made by General Electric. Home Depot has them along with a hard wire box. They are linkable and can also be plugged in. Being 110 v they are dimable. A 3 bulb fixture is 18" long. Bulb life is 10000hrs and don't run as hot as halogen. I bought a 2 bulb fixture to try out befor getting the rest.

Reply to
klaatu

Are you looking for accent light or work light? I have rope light under my uppers and in the toe kicks on an occupancy sensor so my wife won't use the refrigerator as a night light.

Reply to
gfretwell

This would be for task lighting.

Thanks,

todd

Reply to
todd

I used a pair of these HD specials in a display cabinet a year ago. They were reasonably priced and give you the option of flush mount or standoff mount with a trim ring. I control them with a fairly inexpensive touch switch that could be mounted up under the cabinet skirt and remain invisible. They come as singles, doubles or triple light sets but you can probably gang them up as you want.

I'm going to put a set under our kitchen cabinets during the next week or two and wire them into the existing flourescent accent lights above them. Then one switch does all or I can turn the lowers off by themselves.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Reply to
Pat Barber

We used the xenon strips. Everyone loves them. Pricey though.

Reply to
topbs1