Trying to restore my parents' desk but I don't even know what to call the part I need

It's a real wooden desk, probably bought new around 1938-1942, feels and looks like it's mahogany. Around the curved back and sides of the desk runs a 1/32" thick, 3/4" wide strip of brass trim that has ~1/2" dia elliptical holes about 3/4" O.C. along the entire length of the trim which is about

5-1/2' long.

We just righted the desk [I had been regluing a broken leg] and discovered that the repeating hole pattern is an elliptical hole (long axis vertical) and two smaller, sort-of triangular holes adjacent to it just next to the edge.

I've looked in some modern woodworking catalogs I have and found nothing even close. I just tried two "antique restoration" sites on the web, but it's not really an antique in the sense these people mean the word and there's nothing (obvious) either.

First question: What is this brass trim called?

Second question: Where could I get replacement? It doesn't have to be exactly the same since I'm planning on refinishing the desk and replacing the entire piece of trim, but I'd at least like to have it look similar.

TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Pierced brass trim?

India

Reply to
dadiOH

The Yellow Pages should yield the name of some metalworking shops who could duplicate this piece for you in any metal you like. Probably wouldn't cost that much either.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Usually "fret"

Relics in Witney, if you're in the UK. If you need an exact match, talk to somewhere that does CAD-to-metal processing by either waterjet, laser or chemical etch (etch was cheapest, last time I looked)

(Etched brass and polyester resin makes damned cheap fake Boulle work for minimal effort)

Reply to
dingbat