"treated" wood

Wasted time? How long does it take you to read one sentence? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, it was and I thank you for taking the time to point out these errors. Actually, I should have spotted this myself, especially when one reads the text and realizes the explanation doesn't match the dimensioning as drawn. The higher rise on the first step is a puzzlement. Perhap there are going to be patio stones at base of stairs. (shrug)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The only problem I've found with those is that they never match what I've needed for any particular application. They always seem to require adjusting the rise of at least one of the steps to match the required height. I don't like steps, even if there's only two of them, that don't have equal rise and run for each step.

I've always found it very simple and easy to design and lay out the steps on a 2x using the formula "2 x Rise + Run = 26 to 28 inches". Makes for a set of comfortable steps which can be made to fit most any location and have equal rise and run for each step.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

"Tom Veatch" wrote

Yep, that is what the old framers square is for. I wonder if very many folks these days know how to mark and cut some steps the old fashioned way? It wasn't long ago that this was a common skill.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Somewhere is a book of yore on the many uses of the framing square. Mine has been lost for about 20 years. I'm sure there are reprints available on the web, but I've been too limited of access lately to look it up.

Reply to
Swingman

Is the a new fangled way? I've always used a square with the little clips that I have, amazingly, not lost.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I thought the same thing, but if that's the case, it really should be noted or illustrated.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I jes bought a new framing square. My late brother, a master carpenter, didn't have one in his estate, that I could find. I got those little framing square stops one attaches to keep a repeatable measurement. I will be cutting the stringers with smaller than usual rise cuz mom, at 81, is becoming limited in leg strength. I'm no carpenter, but as a machinist am more than familiar with measuring.

Honestly, I'm enjoying the heck outta learning woodworking. I also like this newsgroup. Seems to have a nice ambience with lottsa folks willing to help a newb like me. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Was it in the first book in the Audels Carpenters and Builders Guide? (4 book set)

Chapter 23 How to Use the Steel Square

My set is a third edition dated 1945 and my wife found it at Attic Books in London Ontario.

Valley has reprinted it.

Valley has also extracted the chapter in question and turned it into a booklet.

phorbin

Ahh......, leave it to Rob Lee to stay a couple steps ahead of us and provide a valuable reference work. It obviously is an insidious plot to to extract some hard earned cash from our wallets!! :)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Amazon also carries one

that if you're considering buying a steel square, get it somewhere where you can look at it first. Most of the ones I'm seeing on the shelves in stores have the inch markings along the edges but none of the others. And if you do find one that has the other markings, make sure that they're clearly stamped.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"phorbin" wrote

Reply to
Swingman

I believe the reprint end of things is Leonard Lee's beiliwick. ........Which would make it a conspiracy :-)

Reply to
phorbin