Topcote v. Boeshield v. Paste Wax v. Shellac - Da Winnah!

Interesting, that raises another question, if the melting point of shellac is so high, how do candies and medications that are coated with shellac ever get digested?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Ads for candies that "melt in your mouth" notwithstanding, digestion has little to do with melting. The human digestive tract subjects food to a sequence of acids and enzymes which break it down by chemical means.

Reply to
Roy Smith

duh. Good point. Crawling back into the corner now.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Reply to
nospam

Jack Novak responds:

Does shellac melt like ice or like butter? I.e. does it soften significantly at body temperature or is it quite hard until it gets near the melting point? I don't know, but I'd guess that if it's soft at body temp, it could still be a problem.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Used to use shellac on M&M's.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!

Reply to
Anonymous

My tools probably rarely fall below the dew point. That proximity to the stream probably also has a significant impact. All things considered, including the window shaker I run in the no-car-garage non-stop from March to November, my shop conditions are probably better for preventing rust than yours.

I happened upon it by chance. My table saw was a floor model, and the store owner's wife gave it a coat of Boeshield right before I bought it. I gave it a coat of wax a week or so after I got it home. About a year later, I was reading a thread on the Wreck about preventing rust and it hit me, I hadn't recoated my table saw in a year. My guess is that the Boeshield protects the steel, and the wax keeps the Boeshield from being rubbed off.

David

remove the key to email me.

Reply to
J Pagona aka Y.B.

Bob- just repeating what I read in a book on finishing. Doesn't matter to me. They taste just as good now as they did in 1953!

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

nospam states:

And remember, that's a take-out from public domain info in the Wood Handbook,

1999 edition. That's downloadable, or Lee Valley will sell you the whole shebang for about 20 bucks, IIRC (I think that's what I paid for my copy). A short ton of good info on wood and its uses.

Charlie Self

"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:14:48 GMT, Tom Watson brought forth from the murky depths:

No, if I were IN Misery, erm, Missouri, I'd have to move. Ick!

Try Waterlox, their "floor sealer". It scored 88% on the first day.

Wow, metallic forest products are new to me. Tell me: from which forest product is cast iron made, Tom? Don't those figures tell you that the wood breathes? Wouldn't metal breathe much less? I don't feel that the cite is valid in this instance. YMMV

Maybe the CA nibs were tougher or the shop dirtier in Vista.

What's your shop humidity, Tom? Do you let it go cold at night so there are huge temp swings? Why do you have such bad rust problems with all the right (normally used) products?

============================================================== Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[...]

What a maroon.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

I can see where it could though. I've actually planed hard enough to melt the wax on the cheeks, though I don't think the bottom. My shooting board has a big waxy streak across it.

Reply to
Silvan

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:36:43 -0500, Tom Watson brought forth from the murky depths:

Your mileage obviously varies, to which I reply "Pfffffffft!"

============================================================== Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ya know - at the price of a can of TopSheildCoatUrBoats or whatever it's called, you could'a moved to Denver. So damned dry here, you cry everytime you blow your nose in the winter. [The upside is the static shocks you can impart on an unsuspecting loved one, will keep you entertained for hours.]

Reply to
mttt