TopCote - how is the metal surface supposed to be after treatment? mine is slightly sticky

Hi,

Question - do you find that your metal surfaces sprayed with TopCote end up being slightly sticky to the touch?

I spray a wee bit on, it dries with a slight white haze, and then I rub it gently with a paper towel. when I grab those metal surfaces afterwards (sides of plane body), the surfaces feel slightly sticky and get my fingerprints easily (and I have try hands). My chisels actually take on a slight blueish tint after being sprayed.

(I've done websearches and they say that TopCote is supposed to reduce friction. I assume this means the metal should remain somewhat slippery.)

Thanks!

- Daniel H

Reply to
Daniel H

I'm guessing you are either not letting it dry long enough or not rubbing off enough. How long did you let it dry before rubbing it off?

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Maybe one minute of drying time. There isn't any solvent left, the smell's gone away by then.

Perhaps I'm not buff> > get my fingerprints easily (and I have try hands).

I meant to say *dry* hands.

I can wipe/rub forcefully with a paper towel and remove this blue tinted coating (which feels slighly sticky as well), but then, am I removing the TopCote film?

- Daniel H

Reply to
Daniel H

That would be my guess ... you should not be able to see a film when it's buffed out and the surface should be slick, not sticky in the least.

Reply to
Swingman

I usually spray it on thick and let it sit an hour or longer. I guess its habit because I live in Houston where we have liquid air at times. I always buff it so there's no white haze left. It should be slick when you're done, not sticky.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I spray it on occasionally. I do it right as I'm leaving the shop, so it dries overnight. Try to let it dry longer. I never had the sticky problems.

Reply to
bf