sticky rubber surface, how to fix?

I have a rubber surface that, over time, has become sort of tacky or sticky. Since it's black in color, any dirt it comes across sticks to it. Is there any way to negate or eliminate this tackiness? Thank you.

Reply to
Jake T

Google sez:

invalid unparseable

What kind of surface is it on-- kitchen, garage, office, auto, sex toy...what?

Reply to
Anton Chigurh

Big Giant Upfront Disclaimer:

I don't know if this will work and I really don't know if it will damage the "rubber surface", so try it at your own risk.

Also, just curious: What kind of "rubber surface"?

My favorite adhesive remover is good old Ronsonol lighter fluid. Yes, I know that we aren't talking about an adhesive, but it might work, might hurt. Your choice if you want to try it or not.

Marilyn Manson

I assumed that the Op had a problem with detereorating rubber - rather than something sticky _on_ the rubber .. I had a cheapo spotting scope once that sat untouched in its original plastic packaging for several years - it was "rubber" coated - - when I got it out it was tacky all over - I put it down to a reaction between the rubber and the plastic bag that it was packaged in ... dunno. I just left it out in the fresh air for a week or so - it got better but not completely - so I just donated it to the Goodwill. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I am assuming the same thing. Thus the Big Giant Upfront Disclaimer.

Simply suggesting a product that might, who knows, dissolve (?) *whatever* is causing the tackiness.

I warned the OP before and after my suggestion, so it's on him/her to decide.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

It is plasticizer bleeding out. It could have been washed off. There are silicone finishes for restoring rubber like Armor All but once it is oxidized, bonds are broken, it weakens and cracks, then it is shot.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yes, change its color to something other than black. After all, you seem to imply that it attracts dirt because it is black in color. Hey, try it; It may help!

Reply to
Beeper

Yes, he did say that, but allow me to translate:

Since it's black in color, any dirt that sticks to it is very visible. Well, any dirt except for black dirt.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson