Making rubber sticky question

I have a rubber wedge for holding a door open, the door has a not very powerful door closer. The `wedge` only has the tip that will fit under the door due to low clearance. The wedge slips on the floor tiles usually after a few minutes and the door closes. Any ideas on how I could make the rubber slightly tacky to stop it slipping ?

Reply to
ss

Glue a bit of coarse sandpaper onto the face that contacts the floor.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That may still slip on ceramic tiles.

Sit it in a few millimetres of clean mineral oil (engine oil, 3 in 1?) for a few days, this will absorb and make the surface slightly tacky. Wipe clean before use, obviously.

Stick a bit of Dycem on the bottom.

Abandon the wedge, replace with a "kick-down door stay" like this (sorry about the rubbish URL)

|pcid|43364674852|pkw||pmt||&gclid=CjwKEAjwkui7BRCf64DNtfDupgoSJAA_0LOo3-M3OtFDdkKgoibAlct9jysUbbUqJGWOEZa_thR1RhoC5ijw_wcB

or Google "kick-down door stay" for plenty of others.

Reply to
newshound

Sounds good I wil give that a try.

Reply to
ss

or

ARW

Yes, dunno why my link turned up in Google, perhaps because it came from Google Images? Of course you young lads understand computers

:-)

Reply to
newshound

Or

ARW

How dare you call me young and accuse me of understanding computers:-)?

Reply to
ARW

Try softer tackier rubber, maybe make one from silicone sealant.

Actually it's:

tabbypurr

Why bother,just fit a hook and eye behind the door tohold it open. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

blu-tack?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Buy a Lidl door stop next time they are on offer. The weight holds it in place IME.

Reply to
Capitol

Lidl was selling those round Ordex door stoppers last week. They look quite stylish too.

Reply to
pamela

Is this an old door wedge, where the rubber has hardened? If so just sand the top layer (off the bottom of it) to get to the grippier rubber underneath.

Reply to
GB

The lump of steel with a rubber ring round it and a rubber base? I have one of those too (but don't kick it in bare feet or slippers).

Reply to
newshound

I hope he hasn't got one of those pound shop door wedges.

Six wedges for a quid may sound like a bargain but the ones I tried are made of hopelessly slippery plastic. Worse still, they were hollowed out giving reduced contact area.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Reply to
pamela

Put some dots of Copydex glue on the underneath of the wedge

Reply to
Murmansk

Nope, it opens on to the side of fridge, but good idea as I have a spare magnetic hook which may do the trick with a piece of string.

Reply to
ss

Make a wooden one; works on our tiled floors with strong door closers.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I eventually bought one of these off ebay (kick down) and it works a treat.

ss