non slip rubber - what is the non-slippiest?

I do a bit of windsurfing and the masts have got narrower over the years. I have an adapter that goes on the mast and then the clamp on the boom clamps to the adapter. Unfortunately the adapter is made from a fairly hard plastic and the joint slips.

It is just a round pole with a round clamp, the clamp is oversize.

I want to make my own adapter and had a look on ebay. I saw two possibilities. Silicone sheet and reinforced conveyor belt, both at 6mm thick.

Any thoughts for a good material which will not let the clamp slip down? thanks

Reply to
misterroy

Dycem matting

Available from disability aids suppliers for gripping jars and things.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The trouble is that the non slippiest tends to get itself coated in stuff and is then not so non slip like the material in those non slip mats, which you can get on a roll, and its wonderful when new, but... So is the problem up and down slippage or rotational? I would have thought it should rotate, but not move up and down, in which case some kind of araldite on rings top and bottom would seem to be needed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

That is the stuff I mentioned but it does get dirty and then its not so non slip it also stretches. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Up and down slippage is the problem

Reply to
misterroy

Some Dycem bought. Hopefully no swearing at the clamp next time I am out.

Reply to
misterroy

Not quite sure I follow (as another poster has said). Is it that the boom slips down the mast? Is the boom expected to have freedom to rotate about the mast or not? Or does the mast rotate at the board joint.

If you have rubber and a reasonably tight clamp I would not expect it to slip, so no need for the tacky no-slip materials like Dycem or those little mats you can use to stop mobiles from sliding around on the dashboard. Best if it is clamped up dry, of course. I'd go for a softer rubber that will adapt better to surface roughness than, say, reinforced belting. Something like inner tube material? Some things will be more ozone and UV resistant than others but if it is going to be replaceable that doesn't matter so much.

Googling "windsurfer boom clamp" seems to throw things up for a tenner.

Reply to
newshound

Bit of bicycle innertube? Free at bicycle shops, not much more new.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I have tried the bike inner tube, and the tyre too, both slip. I have also bought an adapter made for the job, and it slips easily. The tyre is the best so far, but it still slips quite quickly. I have a friend with a printer Tim, I'll ask him if the Dychem slips.

Reply to
misterroy

You could try mounting it with double sided sticky tape, as used for golf club grips?

This is how it's done for golf club grips: sticky tape stuck to shaft, peel off outer protective tape, exposing outer sticky side. Coat tape with solvent (white spirit, Stoddard solvent, naphta, special solvent, ...) and also use the solvent as a lube inside the rubber grip. Slip the grip over the sticky tape, which is now not sticky because of the solvent. The grips are generally a very tight fit, and it will work easily *if* there's enough solvent, and if it dies up or gets wiped off, the grip may get stuck halfway on. Then, let dry: the solvent evaporates eventually (overnight to 24 h), the stickyness returns, fixing the grip in place. This is pretty permanent: the usual method on removing the grip is to cut it with a knife and peel it off. See youtube for more...

I expect that a tight-fitting tube slipped on forcibly would hold better than a tyre, which is open, but that's just a guess.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Sounds like it is not clamping tight enough. Presumably it has to be removable, so can't be "glued" solid? Perhaps if you glued one layer of inner tube to each part so that you are then clamping rubber to rubber?

Remember that inner tube is lubricated with talc to stop it sticking. I would try to clean it by scrubbing with detergent, then abrading with sandpaper to improve the key.

Reply to
newshound

Np.

I it seems there isn't a day goes by when I don't design and print stuff these days. Things that I could possibly fabricate from wood or steel or turn but it's a darn sight easier to print. ;-)

Yesterday, whilst waiting for a bracket to print, I designed little retainers to stop rowlock crutches accidentally coming out of their rowlocks (as I can't seem to find the commercial ones any more).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Gonna file this for other operations.

Reply to
misterroy

I finally went out on the windsurfer last night. I wrapped the Dycem matting around the mast and used it to match the diameters. Flipping Brilliant, no slip at all. Thanks all.

Reply to
misterroy