Rubber thingies for toggle clamps..

Hmm... not my most successful purchase on eBay..
I bought a number of toggle clamps. Unfortunately the photo in the description was not perfect and I didn't notice that the bit that tightens down on the workpiece or whatever has no protection. They usually have a rubber pad. These ones are just hex bolt heads. See...
http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/ToggleClamp /
Any idea where I could get something that would fit over the hex head?
Or perhaps any other ideas?
Thanks, Roy
RzB wrote:

How about a plastic wine cork; chop off a suitable length, heat up the hex bolt head to a decent temp and push the cork onto the head. Either the cork will be melted firmly onto the bolt head, or if not you'll need to remove it and glue it on.
David
--- clip

Hmm - I'll give that a try.. However it's going against one of my new years resolutions :-)
Anyone got a recommendations for metal/rubber glue?
Many thanks, Roy

Just explained to my wife that I needed rubber cork, so will strart New Years resolution next week.
Hmm - It's cork...
Ahh well - try another one in a couple of days...
Roy
RzB wrote:

Those things always seem to fall off and get lost. I hot melted a square of hardboard on to mine
--- clip

Hot melted - you mean using a hot glue gun? Like this....
http://tinyurl.com/9jy5y
I thought glue guns were only good for temporary fix type stuff. Don't your bits of hardboard fall off when you apply a bit pressure/release etc?
Many thanks for your help, Roy
RzB wrote:

There are several different glues available for use in glue guns. I've used a hot-melt wood glue, which worked quite well.
RzB wrote:

That's it. I often just slip bits of hardboard under metal G clamps etc. as I'm using them, but then I do have four hands :-)
RzB wrote:

apply silicone rubber. position it against a bit of polythene so it dries with a flat face
NT
---clip

Silicone rubber? You mean the stuff I put round the edge of the bath?
Roy

Given that they're very expensive new and many aren't supplied with rubber pads, then you probably got a good deal anyway.
You can buy soft-ended machine screws from people who sell such clamps (try Isaac Lord)
You can cast silicone pads onto screws or nuts and bolts. This is maybe excessive for just this, but if you're ever making anything with silicone rubbers it's often worth casting up a few extra little jobs like clamp pads or handles at the same time. It's also a way to use up the half-tubes of Sikkaflex polyurethane adhesives that you've opened for another job, as they don't store afterwards.
Hot melt glue gun works quickly and simply. Use a couple of nuts and a washer to spread the load internally, otherwise the pad tends to break.

yes - wasn't too bad...
http://tinyurl.com/74yad

Ok - Will take a look at that...

What do you mean by silicone rubber? Is this the stuff I put round the edge of my bath or something else?

Hmmm - not sure I follow... I have the head of a hex bolt. So what are you suggesting? Something like this?... See TogMould01.jpg in...
http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/ToggleClamp /
Many thanks for your help, Roy

Harder than that - I'm thinking of the sort of stuff that Smooth-on sell. Either silicone or polyurethane, as used for casting suspension bushes, low temperature metal casting moulds, etc. It's the sort of stuff that's easy enough to do, but you're generally mixing up a tenner's worth of goop in a batch and it's not convenient to use in teaspoon quantities.
Andy Dingley wrote:

I thought ordinary 1.50 glazing silicone might do it. Although a little on the soft side, if you ensure it wraps round the bolt head it should not fall off. That said, I've not done it this way, so might be talking total danglies. Given the cost and ease I'd try it anyway.
NT

What about blind grommits, glued on ?
Dave

Surely plasticene would be much too soft?

yes - and you would need poke the eyes out first... :-)
After Daves post I found...
www.grommets.co.uk
fascinating stuff ! I love the Who Are We page... I really want one of those T shirts!!!
Roy

Couldn't I just find their webdesigner and poke _their_ eyes out instead? That's a website worse than Urko's
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:02:41 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

LOL
Dave
Dave Stanton wrote:

:)