Ring-pull thingies ...

Anyone know what those recessed lift up ring thingies that you can set flush in a trap in the floor to allow it to be lifted out, are called, and know of anywhere that keeps them. Had a quick look in a couple of the sheds, but didn't see any, but then sometimes, it's a case of looking in the right place ...

Made a lot of use of that shiny new Bosch jigsaw today - the one that I got last week for father's day, and that Dennis thinks that I shouldn't be using for anything other than, well, cutting out jigsaw puzzles ....

Got to say that it was an absolute pleasure to use. I had both my circular saw and my compound mitre saw with me, and barely used the circular at all, and didn't use the big fella once. The Bosch cut straight when I wanted it to. Curved when I wanted it to. The cut that it took was precise, square, very fast, and above all, a lot lot quieter than either of the other two saws are. So I still think that owning this new toy, is a result .... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

googling for "flush trapdoor pull" seems to find several, e.g

and know of anywhere that keeps them.

restricting the search to uk sites looked less promising, but someone must sell 'em.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Burns saying something like:

Cheapy black steel url:

are others at the bottom of the page.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Called a flush cabinet ring or a flush ring.

You can get them at any architectural ironmongers or marine chandlers.

e.g.

Dave Osborne

Owain

>>> and know of anywhere that keeps them.

Screwfix item 85262

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Do they still do them? They used to, but that's a no-show on their website.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bob

Can you recheck where you found that number from for me please ? I entered it into the search bar on their site, and it comes back not found. 85260 gets a result, and it's hardware like door bolts, so in the right vicinity. It would certainly be handy if they do do them, as there is a trade counter a few miles away, and I could pick up a couple without having to mess about with the post.

TIA

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks for the link

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

> Owain

Thanks for the link. That one looks a bit mediaeval. I was thinking more in terms of the one that Dave O pointed me to. A bit pricey though ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Arfa Daily" saying something like:

Look at the bottom of that webpage.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Apologies - I was using the paper catalogue dated winter 2009

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Grimly old boy, I'm so embarrassed ! How could I have missed that ? I put it down to old age ...

Thanks to you and thanks to Owain for the original pointer. Two nice shiny brass ones, with extremely reasonable postage, now on their way. Now, 38mm. That's not by any chance the same diameter as the recess for a kitchen cabinet door hinge, is it ? :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Nope - that is 35mm

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Trapdoors are :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah, but not in a deck where there is a bloody great manhole cover underneath, that may need to be got at at some point. I made an insert of boards that sits on frame all round, and was going to just bore finger holes through for lifting it out, but then I thought it would be a lot neater to put proper lift-up ring pulls in it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Dammit ! Too good to be true, I suppose. Still, I guess I can use the hinge rebater to take out a 35mm recess, and then just 'open up' the extra 1.5mm all round, with a small chisel.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Its a lot neater to just screw a handle on when you need to lift it.

Reply to
dennis

Nice bit of lateral thinking there.

Spamlet