Tools - Buying from eeebaaaay

"Chisel--Buy now for $1.99. Shipping $29.00"

Why do I even bother looking?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Because the optimist in you hopes to find some item that an individual has mis-listed (or mis-spelled) and you might be the only bidder ;-) I occasionally luck up on something in computers/electronics (I can fix most of that stuff), but haven't found any earth-shaking deals on tools, yet ;-)

You're more likely to find a good deal on Craig's List

check for your city/area and go to the tools, free and wanted sections) or FreeCycle
find one in your area and help keep useful stuff out of landfills) Oak & hickory for "firewood" have both been listed in the Atlanta area this week with "bring your chain saw" - meaning that the tree is down but the pieces are big (can you mill your own lumber?) - along with some new

5'x7' oak pallets (need framing for a cabinet?). Also doors, trim, flooring, and hardware from old houses (oak 2x4's & tin roofing this month) turns up regularly (remodeller finds it cheaper to give stuff away to someone whio will pick it up than to rent a dumpster). Just check frequently - the good stuff gets taken VERY quickly...

John

Reply to
John

Report that to eBay.

"Listing Violations", click Continue. Then select Listing Policy Violations | Circumvention of eBay Fees | Excessive Shipping and Handling. Click the email link, and send them the item number.

They *do* take action. Sometimes.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I normally agree. However!

I recently made three GREAT purchases there, add new and unused:

#1 - (3) boxes of Performax 22/44 assorted (36/80/120) sandpaper, delivered for less than Amazon's cost for one.

#2 - (4) boxes of Performax 22/44 24 grit (dimensioning paper ) for less than the cost of one box delivered.

#3 - (25) pair of 16" ball bearing drawer slides for less than $50, delivered. They're beige, but they're make fanastic shop and utility drawers.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It's really fast shipping.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

You can see they want $31 for the chisel. What you have to understand is that they're trying to screw ebay. Their rates are based on item prices... shipping is not part of their agreement. So if the vendor charges $29 +$2 shipping he owes ebay more than if he charges $2 +$29 shipping. The price to you ends up the same but the vendor makes more money if he plays these games.

I'm surprised ebay lets them get away with it.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I picked up a Marantz portable tape recorder for a whopping .99 cents plus $15.00 shipping just the other day. Needs some work but it's worth way more than the repair will be.

You never know about ebay...

Reply to
John E.

I don't know, I picked up that sprayer a couple of weeks ago and it's a beaut. Got a huge extension on the warranty too.

jc

Reply to
Joe

The pursuit of a bargain... The chance that you'll get a great price... :-)

Then there's always the amusement factor to consider too...

Depending what you're looking for you can still find some deals on eBay. It does take patience... and a bit of creativity with your searches to weed out the deals like you mentioned here...

eBay has turned into a world wide flea market type thing. There are the folks who bring in the trunk load of boxes of what they consider "junk" to sell, and there are the guys with the nice fold up tents there to hussle a buck out of anyone they can selling junk...

There was this fella name P.T. Barnum who had a theory... ;-)

Reply to
bremen68

It's called "Fee Avoidance." It doesn't really bother me. I just figure total cost, decide if that is what I am willing to pay and go for it. The downside is in the terms of the auction. Many will say, "Refunds gladly given, buyer to pay shipping both ways." Well, in that case, not such a good deal. Still, if it is a common, name brand, you may be able to exchange a defective chisel, or whatever, locally.

Reply to
Phil Anderson