Tool Belt Bloviation

You know there is always some tool or such that you have always wanted but just could not bring yourself to buy one. Well, I've wanted one of those nice leather tool belts with the tape pocket centered over..... uhh ... and the two hammer loops....JUST like Norm wears. I've priced some like those framers belts with the Occidental name($230+ price tag) and really cool burgundy leather...would anyone really show up on a job site with one of those strapped on??? Those garish Dewalt belts with black and yellow leather for around 90 bucks?? I didn't really want a new belt because anyone looking at you wearing a new belt would think "Look at that dumb---, I wonder if he can find the right end of the nail to hit?" Come to think of it Norm's belt looks a little too unused. I decided what I needed was a VERY used leather tool belt and have been perusing the local pawn shops for about a year now. The ones hanging on the hooks usually have some odds and ends of screwdrivers, tape and just junk in the big pockets and the pawn shops put a price anywhere from $30-$50 on the ones than meet my tape-pocket-two-hammer-loop criteria. I've tried some on and the belt is generally too short to fit around my fat(but shrinking) a--. Well today I went by one of the local pawn shops...the one that will usually bargain with you. I found this belt...well used with adhesive smeared over the large pockets and the belt could be adjusted to a perfect fit and it had the leather tape pocket and the loops.... There was a $32 tag on it. I gathered up some 3 Taiwan(Popular Mechanics label) wood chisels in good shape($3 price on each) with plastic cutting edge covers and a China brand clamp. I carried my little trove up to the counter to the guy I usually deal with(not the owner). I asked him "what would all this be?" . He looked at the price on that tool belt and exclaimed "God, who would pay that much for this.?". I replied, "Yea, that belt is really crummy and look at all that adhesive smeared all over it." He said "How does $15 for all of it sound?" "ok." I counted out $13 and asked,"Is that enough?" "No, it was $15."........ I got home and put a tape in the tape pocket and hammers in the hammer loops and strapped that thing on.... Whoa, hey, do I need to get some kind of suspenders or harness to hold this belt up?

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

I paid around $130 12 years ago for my occidental. You can still buy the same one for $150 today. Yep, they are the burgundy colored ones. Of course today, they represent a more weathered brownish tone from years of Pacific Northwest liquid sunshine. I hung them up a couple of years ago because my business needed an owner and not a carpenter. Would I buy them again? In a heartbeat. Hands down, Occidental has the best tool belts made. Period. YMMV. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Reply to
Wilson

deal with(not the owner). I asked him "what would all this be?" . He

Almost beat you to those chisels, Larry, but decided against.

My old (pawnshop brand) toolbelt is still going strong after about five years use in roofing, framing, and other carpenter-like activities, but the suspenders bit the big one about a year ago and I haven't found any I like. Anyone got a suggestion for good suspenders?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:15:13 -0700, "Slowhand"

Reply to
Tom Watson

Worse when wet. I tried the green nylon occi's. Had to take them off because I kept floating up. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Early Smothers Brothers send-up of "Streets of Laredo"--

Singing...

Dick: "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy."

Tom: "I see by your outfit that you're a cowboy, too."

Both: "We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys, If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy, too!"

--John W. Wells :-)

Reply to
John W. Wells