Tool Batteries

For those who remmeber, I inquied here about MaKita replacement batteries about a month ago.

Some results.

I purchased a "No-Name" battery pak, rated at 2000mAH from an outfit in San Jose, CA. It was purchased via the internet, landed price with shipping in Vancouver Canada was C$49.00 approx.

After cycling on my battery tester/cycler, 4 times, the capacity is as follows.

  1. 1600 mAH (Used the Makita quick charger)
  2. 1920 mAH (Used a Constant volt/current (200 mA) supply)
  3. 1760 mAH (Used a Constant volt/current (200 mA) supply)
  4. 1854 mAH (Used a Constant volt/current (200 mA) supply)

Remember the battery was advertised at 2000 mAH. Just though I'd pass on what I found. I guess you get what you pay for.

Reply to
Nirodac

Perhaps you may get better performance as you use them more. I purchase rechargeable camera batteries from Thomas Distributing and their Maha batteries are rated pretty highly by other sources. Thomas Distributing indicates that you need to cycle the batteries several times before they will come up to peek performance.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:or2Ag.1771$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

You are somewhat correct. I just wasn't going to waste my battery on testing. Usually though, you get an idea after 2-3 chargings.

6 months from now I test again.
Reply to
Nirodac

what was the cost of having your Makita batteries rebuilt by Polar Battery on Boundary Road?

Reply to
Doug Schultz

snip

I went to Battery Plus in Pineville, NC to find out their replacement cost to rebuild a 14.4 volt battery pack for a Delta drill/driver. They quoted $36 for one battery pack. I don't think I spent that much for the drill, two battery packs, and the charger!

As a result, I followed a prior posting about a process to extend the life of the batteries by hitting the back side of the battery with a hammer to break the crystal short across the battery. Also, the use of a high current of short duration to open the crystal short. The hammer didn't work but using a auto battery charger removed the shorts. I was able to get voltage from all the "zero voltage" of 1.3 v but they still don't hold a charge overnight. Oh well.

Now looking for another sale.

FYI, Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

This is why I just said the hell with it and bought another drill.

Roll> >

Reply to
Jerry

"Doug Schultz" wrote in news:ug4Ag.311135$IK3.143464@pd7tw1no:

Good comment. You know I never thought of Polar Battery. I've bought batteries there before, but had never thought of getting my batteries rebuilt there. It was just so easy to go on line and order them.

Reply to
Nirodac