3-rd party replacement batteries for Makita?

Hi, all.

I need a replacement battery for a 24v Makita tool. I see in e-bay that there's an outfit called BetteryPro selling non-original but compatable batteries:

are a bit cheaper than original Makita batteries

They make this claim:

We sell brand new replacement/compatible battery that are manufactured to meet or exceed the specifications of the original brand manufacturer.

Which they would say, of course.

Has anyone had any experience of these 3-rd party replacement batteries? Are they much of a muchness, or noticably better or worse in any respect? Would you buy them again, or would you choose Makita originals?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Thy are a bit cheaper than original Makita batteries

I'd be happier if they mentioned which brand of cells they used like say Sanyo.

It will depend entirely on the quality of the replacement cells. But you can be sure genuine Makita ones are as good as they come.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you tried the genuine Makita batts from Screwfix? They transformed my Makita, AIUI the batts are the difference between the budget and pro cordless tools.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I searched their site,and I can't find makita 24v batteries. Every other kind, mind:

24v Makitas come up on ebay all the time, and go for around £90:
which is only a fiver more then the non-originals which have a buy-me-now price of £85.

I think I'll bid on a genuine item, and give the 3-rd party items a miss.

I have a gut feeling that you are right about the quality of the battery being a distinguising feature of the makita products, although I have no hard data to back that up. After all, what is a fiver against the total cost of the machine, battery and charger.

That was my feeling in the first instance. I just wanted a sanity check first, in case the widely accepted opinion was the there was nothing in it.

Thanks to all who answered.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Not quite OT, but after one of my ex's friends borrowed my Bosch GBH (yes, really!) 24V pro cordless and ruined the batteries by running it flat and leaving it for a month, I replaced the cells with RS "heavy duty" NiCads for about 1/2 the price of the Bosch battery pack, and they've lasted (so far) 4 years, and seem to last a touch longer in use than the originals - check the prices, it may be even cheaper to replace the cells in your dead battery pack?

Dave H. (The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Reply to
Dave H.

can sometimes be a good choice. Check capacity and recharge times of course. NiCds are quite happy running flat and stored flat btw, so it wasnt your friends fault. Lead acids are the ones that dont tolerate that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Individually maybe, but not in a pack: