Special tool needed

I have a rechargeable battery that I want to dissassemble.

The screws are a modified hex with a protrusion in the center that I need to remove and don't know where I can find the tool needed.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

Harbor Freight

Reply to
salty

They have that tool at my local Ace hardware store. It's called a security torx bit or something like that.

Ken

Reply to
kcarlson46

It's called a 'tamper proof allen'. if it's a hex. You sure it's not a torx? Any reputable tool supplier has the keys for them. whether hex or torx.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

if your attempting to replace the cells you might check out primecell.com they do a excellent job, at reasonable price and the cells used are better than new, with higher capacity.

plkus soldering to cells damages them, primcell welds the leads to the cells.

heck they can even do the glued together battery packs

bob haller

Cordless Power Tool Batteries - we make them work like they should.

We do not offer new tool battery packs. Our quotes are for rebuilding your old battery pack. (It must be sent to us.)

If you are considering the purchase of new battery packs from the original manufacturer.. remember this: If your tool is 5 years old... it is likely that the existing replacement packs are also 5 years old. They stopped making the battery packs... when they released the new model, and the gadgets that go with it.. If you do not care about the gadgets that draw most customers into the "buy a new one" trap - then you are our intended customer. Our purpose is to provide improved performance... for use by those who require only the best. It is not our intention to compete with low cost replacement batteries. Remember that the poor quality battery problem will continue... it is sold to you along with the new gadgets and doo-dads. If you do not require more than a casual use of your cordless tools, then you should probably search for the lowest price.

Others claim that batteries without screws cannot be rebuilt - NOT TRUE - WE REBUILD BATTERIES WITH SEALED CASES.

When rebuilding your old battery - we only use factory fresh cells, that exceed the original specifications. There have been considerable increases in the capacity of all rechargeable cells, and they continue to improve every day. Your power tool has never had it so good. Battery packs for cordless tools may be viewed as three categories.

They are typically graded by voltage and capacity. The voltage indicates how many 1.2 Volt cells are used. (10 cells = 12 V). The mAh or AH refers to how much energy can be stored. (2.1 AH is the same as

2100mAh etc) The higher the number, the better the ability to provide continued use without recharging. The physical size of the cells, and if they are NiCd or NiMh ... determine what can be used as a replacement. Battery capacity measurements are based upon finished product testing with top quality cells. Often times cells may be marked with capacity ratings that are misleading - some perform better

- others less - we test to make sure.

Standard capacity packs: They are usually sold in pairs, in kits with do-everything attachments. They were made at minimum cost, with small size cells, that provide little operating time. These batteries often spend more time in the charger, than they do in the tools. The batteries are usually only 1.0 AH cells, we rebuild them with the highest available capacity. (depending of the model the upgrade can be

1.3 AH or higher. The result is usually a 25 to 35% increase in run time.

Extra, XR or Maxi etc. battery packs. These are large capacity NiCd packs, they are usually 1500 to 1700. We only replace these with 2.1 to 2.4 AH cells for a 40% increase in run time.

NIMH -Maximum capacity packs: NiMh batteries are usually available in two battery sizes. Small packs were 1.5 AH and large battery packs were 2.2 AH to 2.6 AH We rebuild the small case with 2.1 AH and the larger packs are improved to 3.3 AH. Either rebuild usually adds 50% more run time.

Our price to rebuild Tool Batteries is based on the voltage and cell type (NiCd or NiMh). FOR ANY BRAND NAME. The brand name or model number does not change the price.

"Think Better than New." (not cheaper than new) Our rebuilds are designed to be superior in capacity, and of the highest possible quality, for use with your existing equipment. We do not offer poor performance for cheap prices.

Click here to see what magazines are reporting about PRIMECELL rebuild service.

Make it easy .. A printer friendly order form is available for download at this web address:

the file and use it to send your batteries for quotation or rebuild.

10.8 Volts Replace NICD with high capacity upgrade $ 29.00
Reply to
bob haller

that link doesn't work

Reply to
Eric in North TX

t a

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Cute name. The manufacturer's internal manual calls it a D.W.I.R. screw. Don't Want It Rebuilt. :-) N.A.P. Not A Problem

Andy

Reply to
WhiteTea

The .pdf at the end of the link got cut off. Try this:

Moldy Cheese

Any security screw with the post sticking up can be defeated with an automatic center punch. You simply place the tip of the punch between the post and side of the socket and push. The little post will snap off and you can use a standard driver to remove the screw.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I ordered the 100 piece tamper proof tool kit from Harbor Freight. A few days later I got a card thanking me for my order. Then I got an e-mail telling me that the order was cancelled because the item is not in stock. Are there any other on-line suppliers that might sell these tools? I need to take apart a Capresso coffee grinder for repair.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

New Hampshire

Depending on the tool, you might have luck at a Micro Center. I've bought two sets of tamper proof bits there from the little junk bins by the checkout counters, quite inexpensively.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Look and see if there is a HF store near you. That's usually a stock item, at least at the store near me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was able to order the 100 piece set from Amazon.com.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---