Today should be a Lee Valley delivery day!

I'm waiting for 2 new little toys to arrive. SWMBO ordered a couple of goodies a tad late for Father's Day due to my tardiness in getting my wish list to her on time.

I'll report on the usefulness of the MKII honing guide. The other item is something most of you have in one form or another--LA block plane.

C'mon UPS! (Or should I be wishing Godspeed for FedX?)

Dave

Reply to
David

Ahhh, yes... Lee Valley delivery days are always good days! But I haven't been too impressed with either UPS or FedEx lately - why don't more places use DHL? Happy Father's day, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I find I still get great service from the old-fashioned post office. Lower costs and fewer hassles - especially cross-border.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

FedX came about 10 minutes after I got home from picking up the plastic resin glue across town.

I gotta start a new thread about one of the tools I got...

Dave

Andy wrote:

Reply to
David

Got my LA block plane the other day and love it . First real high quality plane I've owned, more surely to follow.

Reply to
Seeker

This borders on cruel and inhumane punishment.... Pat-who waited for his last order(not at lee valley) and got half of what was ordered- and not the half I wanted...

Reply to
patrick mitchel

I'm a tool junkie now...I just ordered the large shoulder plane to complement the medium one I have that's usually too small for what I need it for. I need a 12 step program. But it's SWMBO's fault; she gave the go-ahead. She could always say "no". Crazy woman!

Dave

Seeker wrote:

Reply to
David

Why did you order stuff you didn't want?

:)

Clint

Reply to
Clint

David wrote in news:T snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You ASK?!?

Patriarch, who just ordered the new scrub, plus a 'few things'...

Reply to
Patriarch

Needs and wants....2 different things in this case ;)

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Only because she's been the one that's encouraged me to buy a number of expensive equipment that I'd have passed up for cheaper alternatives. Plus she always buys me tools for birthday, xmas, fathers day, anniversary... It's the LEAST I can do! :)

Dave

Patriarch wrote:

Reply to
David

number

I'm still trying to decide if this is a gloat or a neener...

Morris Dovey

:) Naw...it's only justification, on my part.

Dave

Morris Dovey wrote:

Reply to
David

list to her on time.

something most of you have in one form or another--LA

Yesterday (06/21/05) was delivery day for me, I got the ball tail rear handle and front wood knob, and the chamfer guide for my V-L-A-B-P, threw in a pint of Norton honing oil too. They have a great price on that.

Reply to
AAvK

Please let me know what you think of the handling of the plane with the ball and handle.

Dave

AAvK wrote:

Reply to
David

Yeah, I would as far as usage goes, but right now I'm not set up to work just yet.

I bought them because in adult ed. shop (me learner) I was planing tenons, faces and cheeks and at the finish of a shave, found myself running my hands into the wood edges and corners causing bleeding nicks. That got to be too much!

These handles are well made enough but do not give a "greatly" enlarged area for more safety, though they will help much. It all depends on how you hold it.

One problem I did not like is, the rear knob screws directly into it's casting, which is pure iron without a brass insert for it, and that means "very easy to strip the threads", as I saw the micro-burs coming off. I could also feel the softness of the iron, had to be very careful with several tries at getting it properly threaded.

I suppose a new tote-like handle could be made to bolt in there, and make it better, then you'd have more of a #2 plane. I think at the price, worth buying. The front knob was made in Taiwan.

Reply to
AAvK