Things sometimes come back around...

A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and give it to your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Not dumb at all... touching.... but in my sitcom brain I can't help but get a chuckle out of your last quote... "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and give it to your son - that's how it should be"

Nothing cements the father-son relationship like the time honored tradition of having your newly divorced buddy deliver your long lost table saw to your son's place as he's hightailing it out of town to avoid his ex-wife's layers. That could be on a greeting card! :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Congratulations on getting your saw back!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:ac97$502aaa12$4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

It is a big story. Congratulations!

Reply to
Han

Karma is never dumb, Mike.

"Things have a way of working out right".

Reply to
Richard

Nice. Shame about the divorce, but it puts friendship into perspective.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Many years ago my Dad bought a 12 foot Shasta Travel trailer. After using it for several years he sold it and bought a larger one.

About 8 years later his brother invited him to come up and see his "new" trailer. We do not know where the trailer had been during those 8 years but when we arrived at his brothers there it was in his drive.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

There ya go. Keep it in the family. Your dad, you and your son have all used it. Also a brother got to use it far awhile. Truly a family type of thing. You should feel good. Nothing like family!!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Hi Mike it certainly worked out well,that's a real friend for you.

Sal

Reply to
sal

ex-wife's 'layers' or 'lawyers', or both?

Reply to
willshak

Nice... bonus typo euphemism. 10pts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Absolutley not, it's the way it should be. It's like borrowing a buddies truck with a half a tank of gas in it and returning it with a full tank. Take him out before he leaves and buy him a beer or three.

Reply to
ChairMan

A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and give it to your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

Reply to
WW

I had a good day today. Now it's better. It's always good to hear of a good ending.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

A chap I used to work with had a similar story. It seems a girl he casually dated gave him Gonorreah!

After the diagnosis, he told her. She was astonished and promised quick treatment. He didn't see her for about three months. When they next got together, he asked her about her condition. She emphatically stated that she was cured! With that assurance, he had another romp of sex with her.

The next day, he started his treatment regimen.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's a great story Mike. It's really the way things should be and I am glad to hear when it happens.

Last year my father-in-law passed away. He had cancer, started in his bladder and spread quickly. From September to March and gone. We did what we could to help him; emotionally, physically and financially.

After he passed, we sought to gather our things from his farm, but his second wife would not hear of it. We managed to get our 1983 popup camper but she kept and sold everything else.

I can live with the loss of tools given to me from my own father, but I felt, and still feel, badly that my husband could not get anything from his father, not even old photos. I do not nor ever will understand the greed that some people suffer.

I hope your son gets many years of use from your saw. `Casper

Reply to
Casper

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:51:12 -0500, "HeyBub"

So what's the similar story ~ what goes around, comes around?

Reply to
Dave

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:01:41 -0400, Casper

Possibly, your husband was at fault for not maintaining a good relationship with his mother. Without further details, we are left guessing the rest of the story.

I was put into a similar situation with my brother. Some relatives think I'm greedy and self serving when it comes to dealing with him. But they don't know, (and I'm not inclined to explain to them) that the only time my brother has ever had anything to do with me is when he wanted something ~ usually money.

After a certain point, I refused to give in to his requests for help.

Reply to
Dave

Dave you didn't read carefully, it was his dad's second wife. Not his mother.

And obviously she was a bitch..

Reply to
tiredofspam

We had a situation sorta the reverse of that. My MIL got remarried and the two of them spent a decade pissing away every cent they had, including the proceeds from her house and mortgaged his to the hilt (both were free and clear before). When she passed away the kids on the other side were mad at us for getting everything (we let them take anything they wanted of his, out of the house - and they took more). "Everything" was just about enough to cover the expenses. We were stuck cleaning out the house and making the repairs necessary to sell it (not a trivial thing, living 1000 miles away).

Reply to
krw