Thickness planer

Hello

I'm looking to buy a 12=BD - 13" wood thikness planer The more infos I found, the more confused I am

Can I have your advise ?

Dewalt ???

Makita ??

Delta ??

Ridgid ??

Thank you very much for your help

Dany

Reply to
Gaspareau

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer The more infos I found, the more confused I am

Can I have your advise ?

Dewalt ???

Makita ??

Delta ??

Ridgid ??

Thank you very much for your help

Dany

All are noisy but the Makita is reported to be less noisy. The current Ridgid design has been around for a while and most owners reports are good. It probably has the best warranty in he business with its Life time Warranty, and yes that currently covers wearing out with the exception of the knives. I have had a 10" Ryobi, probably the first portable ever made and it is 19 years old. I retired it last year and now use a stationary 15" Delta. If I were to buy another portable I would probably go with the Ridgid as first choice and the Makita as a second choice. Portables have become much like printers and ink cartridges, the planers are reasonably priced but the knives are disposable and will be a continuing expense.

Reply to
Leon

Read this

RayV

"Leon" wrote in news:PSo_h.7123$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

I've been keeping my blades up with a block of maple, wrapped with 800 grit wet dry abrasive paper. Haven't spent money on new blades in three or four years. Someday, probably.

It's a Ridgid TP1300, which I would gladly buy again.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Have had a DeWalt, DW733 for 9 years.

Knife sharpening is straight forward.

Easy to maintain, it doesn't owe me anything.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'll third that one.

Reply to
efgh

And I'll forth it--just bought a used one on craigslist at 1/2 price new, barely used, extra blades and dust hood. Impressive machine.

Reply to
Steve Hall

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer The more infos I found, the more confused I am

One thing I notice - very few, if any, complaints about any portable model. That must mean that most of the companies have done a good job with a relatively cheap design. When I bought my Delta 22-580, my first use of it left my jaw gaping. I could not believe it did such a good job. If I were buying today, I might go for a bigger cast iron planer. I bought the delta with the plan to "get by" for a couple of years. That was almost 3 years ago. I still cannot believe I got it on a close-out sale at Lowe's brand new for $229.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have the DW735 and it is outstanding. Price is commensurate.

If I hadn't gotten a DW735, I would have gotten one of these.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

I own, but cannot recommend, the Harbor Freight portable.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Hello everyone

I finally made my choise

I bought a Dewalt DW735 at Busy bee in Ottawa

599$ canadians dollars they have a promotion and they "give me" a set of extra blade and the extension tables

I hope I made a good choise

Thank you for your advises anyway

Good woodworking every one !!

Reply to
dany.sauvageau
599$ canadians dollars they have a promotion and they "give me" a set of extra blade and the extension tables

I hope I made a good choise

You did and you'll enjoy using it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski