planer ?

I am looking to buy a planer. I don't want a bottom quality unit nor an expensive professional unit. I noticed the rigid model at home depot has what they call a "super fine" finish and it cuts at 66 CPI. The dewalt 12.5" list it's as having one of the finest fishes available in a portable planer and it cuts at 96 CPI and then there is the dewalt 13" dual feed speed which has 96 and 176 CPI. The delta 2 speed has 60 or 90. Anyone know what the Ryobi model (Metabo & King are identical) is rated at? It is not listed on there website. I want something that will produce a finish that will not need a lot of sanding afterwards. Is the dewalt the best in this price range. Thanks for any opinions.

Reply to
habbi

A friend of mine just bought the DeWalt last month. We put it through its paces and IMHO, that is one fine machine. The 176 speed produces a board like glass. The thing that impressed me the most (besides the planed finish) is the blade mechanism. DeWalt offers an automatic blade replacement procedure that doesn't require any measuring or adjusting, its magic. And the blades are something like $50. If you've ever bent over a planer of jointer for hours adjusting blades... you'll appreciate DeWalt's solution. Slick! _________________ Tom

A directory of log and rustic furniture manufacturers, companies, craftsman and retailers in the United States and Canada. The most complete log and rustic furniture directory online (or off).

Reply to
tom

I think these are two of the best machines for home use. Either one should make you happy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've got hundreds of board feet through a DeWalt 733, which has evolved into the 734.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I'd also be happy with the Makita, DW735, the Delta $350 unit, the Rigid, and several others.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I've had a DeWalt 735 for about 10 months--bought it at Lowes for about $480 (the price has gone up to $500 since). I've been using the 176CPI setting exclusively, and it does indeed produce a "board with surface like glass." Even heavily figured flame or quilt maple comes thru without tear-out. Excellent machine, would recommend it to anyone.

--Steve

habbi wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Not my first choice (needed a new planer in a hurry) but I have the Delta 2 speed and it performs as expected and has some good features.

Sanding is a must, even at the finish speed.

Hope that helps!

Ed

Reply to
Profit From Wood.com

My favorite way to finish a surface is with a hand plane.

Joint & thickness on machines, then one or two passes with a sharp plane, and you've got a perfect surface for finishing.

This method is very fast, inexpensive, quiet, and dust free.

I still sand, but only when I really have to.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y