The good ol days...of October. (RANT)

OK, I just finished fighting with Delta/Porter Cable/DeWalt/B&D/etc.'s useless website. They changed the servicenet a few weeks ago, and I've noticed the following since then:

1) You cannot login without using IE. 2) You cannot get any information without registering and creating an account. Previously, you could claim to be from out of the USA. 3) There is NO DIRECT LINK to the manuals. This should be the #1 link right off of the stinkin' page, but it doesn't exist anywhere!!! 4) If you search for your tool's part number, you may or may not find any documentation. About half of my tools (3-5 years old) were there. None of my old ones were, except for my ancient circular saw, for which I found a higher quality schematic online already.

This is easily the worst website I've seen in months, and I work in IT. Several people at the company should be fired over this travesty.

Colin

Reply to
Colin B.

"Colin B." wrote in message:

Reply to
woodstuff

You are correct in that it is one of the worst websites to use.

However, from what I have read over some years following this NG, I cannot state this is a travesty from the site's owner's point of view. Re-Phrase: How do any of us know if the hard-to-use-website was not a web design goal? What if the web site owner's don't want us to find the old parts list. What if the goal is to make us so angry we stop seeking old parts lists from the web access and the service slowly melts away?

Question: Do any one here remember the term "built-in-obsolesce" and the bean-counter's claim that supporting the product long beyond expected life after manufacturing was cutting into profits? So, just what is the expected life of a unisaw? I bet some here have good usable Delta saws pushing 40 years old at least.

Yes, that site is that bad. Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Then why spend the money to even have them online at all?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, my bandsaw is from 2000, and I had to phone Delta to get a manual for it. If they make a bandsaw is supposed to be chucked after seven years, then they're not a company I'll support. That's really the key: If they're not willing (or able) to provide reasonable support for the products, then I'll be happy to buy from their competitors because they clearly don't deserve to stay in business. Not only do they not benefit from me replacing their gear with newer stuff, but they've also lost me as a customer for net-new purchases.

Bottom line is that I don't care. If I don't get support from a company, I won't support the company. Planned obsolescence is short-term thinking which will gut companies in the long run, and good riddance to 'em.

Colin

Reply to
Colin B.

I worked my way around that website to find out where the tech support was. I finally found an email address and sent them an email asking three questions about my Delta 14" wood lathe. I sent the email on Nov

  1. On Nov 9 I received an automated reply (From DEWALT supoort) stating that I should receive a response withing 24 hours. This is the 14th and I have not seen the response yet. I had to stop holding my breath.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

The dewalt manuals (at least some of them) are avaialable on the dewalt website.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I'm assuming you're talking about the following?

1) You cannot login without using IE.

Haven't verified that, but I can view the information with Firefox on Linux without logging in. The colour choices are a bit odd though...

Hmm...without logging in I entered "50-760" in the little search window on the front page and it took me to the information for my dust collector. Clicking on the "instruction manual" link opened up a pdf file. Same thing using "dw703" for my chopsaw.

Enter the model number in the little "find it now!" search window at the upper left.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

This is to help those trying to find their way at the

site. It is not a great site, that is for sure and could definitely use some fixing but this may help.

You should know the part number of the tool for looking up a part.

All parts are not available on-line but I'll use one that I just had to order. I have a laminate trimmer (model 310 / 3101) that has a bad cord. The overall part number of the trimmer is 3101 Type 2 for the Base. The motor (w/cord) has a part number of 3102 Type 3.

So at the homepage of

in the upper left corner, you will see a box with "Find It Now!".

Enter the part number. In my case, I entered 3102. You can also enter in text (i.e. laminate trimmer)

That brings up a listing of part numbers - some of which are not relevant - but "3102 Type 3" is listed.

Click on the relevant listing and if it's available on-line, the next page shows the parts listings.

Here's where you can access the Product Overview, Exploded Art and Instruction Manuals - look in the top-left corner. Some of these are not available.

In my case, the cord needed is listed as part number 875699. Clicking on that underlined part number opens a page that shows which products this cord works with if you're interested in that info. It shows the status of the product, such as Discontinued w/o replacement or Normal Product or Discontinued w/ replacement...

Back one page to the page that shows the cord part number 875699 with a "Buy" icon to the right. After clicking on the last item you want to purchase, click on the "view cart" icon at top left and follow the bouncing ball.

No, the site is not intuitive, it does not have all the info for drawings, manuals or parts replacements but on this page

list the contact phone numbers. I have called them in the past and the nice lady is the one that showed me the secret hand-shake on how to find things on their servicenet site.

If you find this helpful, send $19.95 to..........;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

No kidding! The link to the user manual is dark gray on a not-quite- as dark gray background. Nearly invisible until I rolled over it.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Colin:

I feel your pain. But if you really want to spike your blood pressure - go to MicroSoft's site- using Netscape - on a Mac.

NINE pages, each with probably 30 cookies, and S L O W loading pages at that, asking for just about everything about me - including my hat size (OK so that's a bit of an exaggeration. Anyone still own a hat that isn't "adjustable"?)

- only to get a Page Not Found message at the end of the ordeal. I felt like I was in a Monty Python skit and had stumbled into the Office of Abuse thinking I was meeting with The Minister Of Silly Walks. I was sure my phone would ring and someone on the other end would ask for my shoe size. (non - Python people - ignore all references to The Flying Circus show)

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

I have had good luck using

as a resource for parts list and breakdowns. Sometimes their prices are higher (sometimes lower) but the site is easier to use than service net. It works fine with firefox as well. It's a good place to start anyway.

Reply to
thefairbanks