The frankenbench is alive!

Well almost. Still needs some work, and a vise, but I'll have to save my pennies for a while before that happens. It has a little bit of everything...

Oak, 2x4, MDF, melamine, poplar, pine, and... cardboard. Dovetails, M&T, and ... duct tape

went without the ledges on the dog holes. If I end up wishing they were there, well it's not going to be much harder to chisel them out later over doing it before assembly. The holes are 3.5" on center from the outer edge to align with a 7" face vise.

The oak section isn't as solid as it needs to be yet. Right now it's only held on by 4 #14 screws and I think that's the problem. Do you think lag screws will be enough, or am I going to need through bolts? I'd obviously prefer not to. I couldn't have any connection between the oak and the rest of the top because I wanted to be able to shim it up when it gets resurfaced, so all the fastening is down into the

2x4s.

I'm considering adding another post or diagonal brace at the right corner towards the front to give me something more solid to pound on at that end. I've got one leftover 2x4 to play with.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I really like the way you did the web page. The photos stand out and the text is informative, but succinct.

The bench is ... unique. There are some good ideas there.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Thanks! Doesn't need to be dressed up to get the job done, kind of like a workbench ;)

Yeah. I tend to think there's not much you can do on a bench that hasn't been done before, but I haven't seen a top out of multiple materials like that before. I am sure someone's done it though. We'll see how it works out. It seems to have provided everything I thought I wanted, now I get to find out if I was right :) If it's as clean as it is in those pics in three months I'll consider it a horrible failure.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

You can add some pics then. This lot must have been taken in purpose cleaned corner of your shop. Looks way too clean. :o)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

We just moved in january so the shop is still clean and organized. It's intolerable. The new bench should improve my efficiency in messing it up dramatically.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf