Where to buy sand bags?

I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags (typical army size I guess)?

Reply to
dean

Joseph Meehan

Try google then click on froogle

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

We got ours at the local farm supply store.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't use burlap. The mesh is to coarse and the sand will wash out.

Use canvas. Better is plastic. Plastic takes up much less storage space and is reusable (canvas rots).

You can get all you want from the postal service (for free). Must turn inside-out.

Reply to
HeyBub

Plastic from the postal service????

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah, I'm gonna walk up to the teller at the post office and say " May I please have 2 dozen of those used mail bags for free please" and wait for them to say " where did you hear that we have those for the taking, from some nut on the internet or something" The rest of that advice sounds good though.

If it has been raining a lot lately (are you from MA or NH by chance today) then you may be able to get a supply from your city works department with or without sand already in them. Many cities hand them out to residents during weather emergencies and sometimes in advance (so they may have them anytime). Check your city webpage for an info phone number to find out.

Reply to
PipeDown

Or are you suggesting we use plastic (tyvek?)priority mail envelopes as sand bags?

Reply to
pipedown

Don't go to the "teller" at the counter. Go to the bulk mail acceptace unit, usually at the central post office.

The US Postal Service will provide all the mailbags you need (also stickers, labels, rubber-bands, etc.). In fact, for some mailings, mail must be placed in USPS bags before the post office will even accept it.

Mail bags come in two sizes: Full and half. Actually they come in one bag with nine more inside (wads of ten). The half size holds about a peck, full size, a little over a bushel.

The city gives out mail bags? Wow.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oh, you want us to misuse federal property, thats different. No wonder the stamp prices keep going up.

Sand Bags Duh the topic of the OP

Reply to
PipeDown

I made sand bags from old jean pant legs--strong, easy, and fast.

Reply to
Phisherman

Now THAT is a good idea!

Reply to
dean

But all my old jeans have holes in them!

Reply to
dean

If you have access to any old, tire inner-tubes, they work well as a makeshift sandbag. Tractor innertubes are good, though can be pretty heavy if they're too large.

First cut it in half. Using 2x4s, fold one end closed and "clamp" it between two 2x4's and screw the 2x4's together with several wood screws. Fill the tube with sand. Close the open end the same way as the other.

An averaged sized agricultural tractor tube cut in half and filled with sand can weigh over 100 lbs, so be careful, and maybe cut it into quarters instead of halves.

Reply to
louie

HD or Lowes

Reply to
tom&sue

responding to

NYP Burlap wrote: We supply every type of bag imaginable from burlap to polypropylene.

Reply to
NYP Burlap

Reply to
HeyBub