The Collectoris - An Explication Regarding Cause And Effect

I have participated in this Wreckish environment for many years - but without understanding.

As a professional woodworker, I dealt with tools as commodities.

I bought and sold tools according to my professional needs - and this was good - so far as it went.

I coveted naught which was not to be coveted for economic benefit.

Think you not that I did not enjoy a well formed tool - for I did.

But, it was in the way of hurrying me on to some particular task.

Having all to recently achieved the status of WoodDorker, as opposed to Professional Woodworker, I am encumbered by a good bit of cultural shock.

My Collectoris had never been adequately stimulated.

I know, you will say that for a man of middle age, this is a great embarrassment - and I would be loathe to disagree with you.

However, having been brought to the precipice of the consideration of tools as more than objects useful in the pursuit of trade related matters - I must confess to find myself in awe.

In awe - I say to you - in awe of their ability to stimulate the Colectoris.

Where once I contemplated salvation and resurrection on the altar of Altendorf and Biesse, now is my path secure in its reverence for Sweetheart and Bedrock.

The Collectoris is engorged and never to be satisfied.

Not by the friction of mere acquisitiveness, without regard for essence.

Not by the wanting without the having.

Not through the stimulus of proximity without climactic interface.

Lordy, does no one know where I can get a Goddard Townsend Reverse Profile in trade for a Satanly 55 and a moderately rusted 93?

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Ah, mayhap it was the inculcation from my Engineer Father on the beauty of a good tool, but my own work tools are more than mere accessories. In my case it is microscopes and fine dissection tools. I have a pair of microscissors so fine I use them once in a blue moon. But that is to miss the point, just to have such a thing is a mote of comfort. I still remember with a pang the fine pair of suture holders I had to leave in a previous lab (they cost too much to let me walk off with them). It was the finest pair in the lab, nay the institute, easy on the eye, they laid in the hand with perfect balance and ne'er slipped on the job, sigh.

As a mere amateur in the woodwrecking business, I do still frequent the old tool merchant out in the countryside. I have an eclectic collection of mortise chisels in very fine tool steel (one blade is laminated) and a mid '60s Stanley #7 jointer that I fettled up and now takes tissue thin shavings. The bug has bit, only the budget and swmbo stand in the way....

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

... something like, "Ask Dr. Tom"?

Mark & Juanita

The problem is if you play with your Collectoris too much, your palms will get hairy and you will go blind. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Charlie, I think that the general run of folks got tired of Nowrecki, and he maybe moved to Florida, or some other Third World country.