Tested My New Miter Saw This Evening

Unpacked and put together an old Craftsman miter saw I'd bought awhile back. It's probably at least 20 years old, and looks like it's only been used a few times. Don't know who made the saw, but it's definitely good quality. It had all been taken apart to ship, and took a couple of minutes to figure how it all went together. Paid something under $20 for it, including shipping. Hehehe Got it on eBay. EBay "does" have bargains, IF you're careful, especially if you watch what they want for shipping (you ought to see the two eggbeater drills I got on eBay). Anyway, this is accurate, smooth operating, and the saw leaves a cut about as smooth as a carbide table saw blade would. Not really a gloat, but definitely a warm fuzzy. Norm would not understand, but Roy would.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Frea

Reply to
J T

Damn, now we don't know what you get you for Christmas. Sure can't be that price.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The big question is what color it gets painted.

Reply to
Swingman

I often throw my 10" Craftsman into my truck. It's one of those simple ones. It weighs nothing. One of those: "regular CAN$599.00 now $ 169.00" deals. It's not a slider. It does bevels, although it's never been used for that. I put on a good blade and the quality of cut is surprisingly good. I have no idea how long this will remain that way, but after 5 years, still good. No all jobs warrant my taking the Makita to the job site, besides, it lives in the shop. Not everything Craftsman makes is crap.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Swingman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I thought Krylon had named their Yellow Paint after him: "Old (JOAT) Yeller".

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

I think JOAT was discussing a Craftsman miter "box", not a CMS or any other motorized saw.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Mon, Oct 3, 2005, 5:11am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) thankfully said: The big question is what color it gets painted.

Damn. The thing looks so pretty, I'd never even thought about painting it. Thanks for reminding me. How do you feel about yellow?

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Frea

Reply to
J T

Mon, Oct 3, 2005, 5:48pm (EDT+4) patrick snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net (Patrick=A0Conroy) who did speaketh: I thought Krylon had named their Yellow Paint after him: "Old (JOAT) Yeller".

Not so. The deal fell thru.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Frea

Reply to
J T

I was just thinking the other day about reading a post on here 5 years ago where someone was talking about painting all their tools yellow... something about the calming effect or some such. I was wondering who that was... now I know! ha

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

I knew of some women electricians and carpenters who painted all their tools pink. This was to stop the guys from stealing them as some kind of initiation thing. Since these macho types would not be caught dead with a pink tool, they did not have to deal with this sort of thing any more.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Ackshully, I prefer pastel or earth tones, they go better with that stuff that hits the fan around here ... but suit yourself. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Mon, Oct 3, 2005, 9:22pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (NorthIdahoWWer) wondereth: I was just thinking the other day about reading a post on here 5 years ago where someone was talking about painting all their tools yellow... something about the calming effect or some such. I was wondering who that was... now I know! ha Been 5 years already? Yep, still paint 'em, and here's the skinny:

PAINTED TOOLS I paint my tools. Bright yellow. I've got a 24/7 headache, since

1980. Not plural, headache one. Bad enough, with arthiritis, to put me on disability, since 1996. Doctors can tell me what causes it (stress, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Post Vietnam Stress Syndrome, etc.) but not how to make it better. Painting tools makes the shop cheerier, brighter, and eases the headache.
The last tool painted wound up buttercup yellow. I think I'll hunt harder for bright yellow next time.

Unexpected bonus, my sons don't use or borrow the painted tools.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Frea

Reply to
J T

Mon, Oct 3, 2005, 1:51pm snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (Dave=A0Hall) did spake: I think JOAT was discussing a Craftsman miter "box", not a CMS or any other motorized saw.

Not quite. Used a miter box once. Once. My rig is definitely not motorized, and looks vaguely like this, except mine's an older version.

Truth Shall Set Ye Frea

Reply to
J T

I've got one quite similar that I picked up for $20 CAD a few years ago when the Canuck buck was at about $0.65 US. Works great, I've done a tonne of baseboards with it.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yeah, I knew that "box" wasn't quite right, but close enough to differentiate from a CMS. Those little wooden miter boxes are not worth using, but your type are nice.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall