Selling an Old New Chain Saw?

I'm in an interesting position of trying to sell a 10 year old Husqvarna chain saw that's never been used. As the seller, I would contend that a

25% reduction in the original price, which has barely changed from the current replacement model with few internal changes, is fair. However, I can understand that anyone thinking about buying it would question its condition, which would pass all eyeball tests of newness. Further, I took it to a local saw shop to see if it actually runs. A couple of squirts of gas, and examination by the mechanic and it was off and running. The guy said off handedly that's a little gem, and sounds like a new one.

What's next? Do invite a prospective seller to open it up somehow and look inside as proof? Comments? Is there a way to buy tool insurance, a warranty? I just had a thought related to that which might work. I'm in a small time but we do have a very, very good tool store here. Maybe I need to visit them for advice.

BTW, we bought the saw originally to clear some land, but an injury kept it from being used. In the interim another land clearing solution intervened, and the saw was pretty much forgotten until recently.

Reply to
W. eWatson

What size saw? My pos Poulan died and I can use a new one

Reply to
RBM

What's next is to list it on Craigslist at your asking price. If it doesn't sell, you can:

a) Lower your asking price, or b) Keep the saw

Reply to
HeyBub

10 yr old, well its just like any piece of metal unused it can go bad, I guess you never heard of internal rust, drying rubber, cracking plastic, drying out of Capacitors. 25% off isnt enough, I let my Lawnboy sit in a shed a year and the bearings rusted it runs but its slower and that rust is now bearing grinding compound. So to it being actualy worth only 25% less with no warranty [ even if I was to believe its was unused , Yea right ] its not worth 75% of new value, maybe its worth 20- 25%, if I had it in my hand and it started , ran, cut, restarted, didnt leak etc. That thing could have several seals and components fail after a week and cost hundreds fo fix, Ive seen that happen many times.
Reply to
ransley

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:36:16 -0700, "W. eWatson" wrote Re Selling an Old New Chain Saw?:

Put it on eBay. Instead of a 25% reduction, you might get a 25% premium over the original price.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

premium over the original price.

add to this...there is an excellent chance that it was made better (and of better materials) than today's Husky.

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

Unused 10 years in a basement, 25% premium! I guess there is a sucker born every minute. Echos new motors are better the Husky then or now, just read Echos Gov hour rating, that is proven quality. My Echo Husky Honda tool shop says the new Echos outlast Huskavarna. I sold a similar Gas Echo trimmer, "basicly" new 10 yrs old I got 25% of new value, a little cleaning and it looked new. This is a unknown person mail deal, no warranty, no return, no money back, you dont know if it wont be leaking in a week from dried gaskets and hoses or even run right. Now if he lets you use it a few days thats different.

Reply to
ransley

Heavy item incurs high shipping cost which may reduce the final price. Try craigslist -- start with a high price, then reduce it a little bit every few days until it sells.

Reply to
james

You're just looking for a give-away price...and you would grab it in a second!

Reply to
Bob Villa

Sound advice!

Reply to
Bob Villa

A number of other things I can think of come into play too.

1) In general, I think if you went to the store this morning and bought a brand new, good quality chain saw, I'd be very surprised if you could get 75% of the price this afternoon (assuming no natural disasters).

2) Are parts still available?

3) Is it a particularly desirable model for some reason?

4) At least it's a big name saw.

And, I probably would not invite prospective buyers to open it up. Even if the gaskets are OK, they may be stuck and will be destroyed in the process. The result will be leaks that will discourage other buyers (the one that opens it probably won't buy it because he now knows the gaskets are toast).

Reply to
Larry The Snake Guy

Rule of thumb is that if it's used, it is worth half retail in good condition. Even though this has never been used, it will need some work because it has sat. There are gaskets and rubber parts in the carb that will need to be checked and or replaced. If you CAN get more than half, that's good, too.

I'd say, a new one is $350, and this one has never been used. How much do you offer, and take phone numbers. In this tight economy, who knows. And for a few bucks more, one can buy one with a warranty.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I got a new Husky 345 for $237 online from Norwalk Power Equipment Company. Lots of stores wanted a hundred bucks more than that. Check your online competition before fixing the price it's "worth new".

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You may misunderstand. Most mechanical components of a chainsaw are speedily exposed to view and show how much wear they have had. Rubber components also indicate their age. You do not need to protect buyers with the experience to recognize these signs.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

It seems to be some people's fallacy that because they paid 'X' dollars for something and it hasn't had much, if any, use, it will retain a certain percentage of value based on what it originally cost!

Not so! Something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Along with an obligation on the part of the seller to tell the truth and the whole truth about the item.

An unused or even a used item can be worth very little/virtually nothing. Examples abound.

Or be very desirable perhaps to a few or very limited market. Examples ........

For sale; used, medium-low mileage 1956 Ford, very collectible. And probably valuable well beyond any original cost although well used.

For offers; little used almost brand new volume set of Encyclopedia Americana 1990s edition. Original cost over $500. No offers, although item in perfect condition (some of the pages were still stuck together from printing) it's outdated reference material in this age. Unless one is book collector?

For sale, vacant building lot New Orleans, original house removed due to storm damage! Risky buy eh?

Old style (cathode ray tube) stereo-sound TV set. Original cost three years ago over $800, selling because wife gave me a new flat screen digital capable set to watch football. Make an offer! He got IIRC less than $50.

A few year old high quality ViewSonic 19 inch monitor, am using it right now. Got it for $35 because everybody, banks, offices, homes converting to LCD flat screens.

Be lucky for an older style, although unused but long stored, power tool to get more than say $150 for it. If I was not too far away (shipping cost) I might chance say $100, since it is a Husky!

Long expired warranty and parts availability for it? And it doesn't happen to be one of those that must use leaded gas???? And or certain 'additives' with unleaded gas?

I love getting old things going again. And then boasting about recycling and reuse blah, blah, blah etc.

But, depending on how much use I might make of it and not wanting to waste my time; if really needing a chainsaw, go out and buy new!

terry

Reply to
stan

Yep, anything used is rarely worth more than 1/2 of retail pricing. Put it on Craigslist for 75% of retail, and be willing to take 1/3 less than that so the guy thinks he's a good negotiator.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

[...]

And exactly to what you say. But I use the general rule of thumb that if it's a day old, it's used, and going rate is 50% IF in real good condition. I see yard sales where there's something that's worth $100 and they want $10. And reverse.

I got a real deal from Norwalk with free shipping, and since you can compare exact model #'s knew I was getting it for about $100 cheaper than locally. Of course, I got the oil, spare chains, the hat, etc, etc, etc, where they made big bucks .................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

YES, YOU DO! If you do NOT do things to protect the buyers, including providing a full written notarized disclosure statement US DRKE -

33987/43.93 Mod 7/3/1a, you can be fined $5,000 and be held in prison for up to five years. Read it. It's there.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

In article , stan wrote: [...]

[...]

Circa 1980, I was looking for a set of encyclopedias and constrained by my budget to buy used. Phoned about an ad that didn't list the year of publication. Seller told me "1942". Couldn't understand why I wasn't interested -- "but they're in excellent condition" she protested. Well, you see, it's the information in them -- they won't have anything about space travel, computers, or nuclear energy, I told her. "Why not?" DUH!!

Reply to
Doug Miller

20", but I probably live a long way from you, N. Calif. I'm just guessing.
Reply to
W. eWatson