techshop gone

LOL!

Reply to
krw

That was eleven years ago. A bit late for a coulda/shoulda isn't it? He might have survived if he had a satelite phone, too.

His kids would be 14/15 and 11/12 now. You could teach them.

(Not sure where they are living now, I knew the wife's San Francisco store, but it has been closed since 2008.)

And about Techshop, since I'm someone who was in the target market:

  • The facilties were nice, but the prices were too high. And it's different using rental ship.
  • I don't have a lot of room for tools or for working, but at least I don't have to schlep all my materials too and from a workshop that's costing me money whether or not I'm using it.

I'm not a milennial, but I do feel affiliated to the "Maker" movement. I've been to more than a dozen Maker Faires, which I find a good place to get inspiration for doing new things, both within my comfort zone and out of it. My wife makes a good living on the textile side of the Maker movement selling simple sewing patterns and teaching sewing to first timers. (Most of the money comes from the patterns, not the teaching, which is much more limited audiences.) She's shown her work at four or five Maker Faires in three cities.

The Maker Movement is child to the Popular Mechanics projects. They are not in-depth nor are they the most basic foundation, but inspiring and fun.

Elijah

------ useful in a world where off-the-shelf is so common

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Do you think they will have any walnut or maple reduced :)

Reply to
Mark H

Actually, I've been asking this question fer all those yrs. Having once lived in OR, I KNOW where he went.

.....or if he'd never turned down that particular road. My "what-if" is no different than your "what-if".

Pretty much my entire point, in this thread. If you wanna "make this part of a larger conversation", be my guest. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Who would be there to listen to the SOS?

Reply to
krw

That book just happened to show up under my tree today. I agree that it's very bulky; it deserves a hard cover instead of the flimsy one it has. But it seems fairly though and it is set with a nice (readable) sized type. I like that it offers a better glimpse into the basic math then the book I have been reading, "Introduction to Electronics" by Andy Cooper. I'm pretty sure I would recommend the "inventors..." book over that one. It seems to be more eager to help you to "get your hands dirty". So that makes me ask, which book do you prefer (and why)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill