techshop gone

techshop.ws could not create a sustainable business model and is gone

all the us locations are closed

was sad to hear about this because a lot of people were able to access equipment that they just would not have otherwise

also over 3000 vets had used techshop

the website is gone and only has a single pdf which is interesting to read

they had a good run

if there is one near you there is probably going to be a lot of equipment up for sale soon

Reply to
Electric Comet

they filed chapter 7 which means it is completely over and no chance for more funding or anything else

there is an email address to send inquiries to for buying equipment or any other assets

there were some overseas techshops but they were managed and financed independently and they are still in operation

wonder what they did that was different

Reply to
Electric Comet

You mean, other than change the term from "hobbyist" to "maker"?

IOW, why do hobby-shops not have "open source" workshops. Lowe's? Home Depot? Cuz there's NO $$$$ in it!! DUH!

Jes cuz a buncha 'greedy bastids' thought stupid millennials would fall for a simple name change (they did), doesn't mean millennials aren't also cheap. Seen many mils paying monthly membership in a health clubs (say it fast, five times). ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Not sure you meant there to be a question mark at the end of the last sentence but there are a fair number of millennials at the gym I go to. It's the most expensive one around, too. Millenials are at least as vane as boomers were.

Reply to
krw

I'm so happy for you! Are you a "maker", also?

Reply to
notbob

Jus saying that your comment about millennials is nonsense.

I don't know what a "maker" is, in this context. I'm a boomer, if that tells you anything.

Reply to
krw

DerbyDad03

They might come out of chapter and re-organize. Might never happen and might never be wanted. Politics and taxes and insurance are out of hand.

Mart> On 2017-11-18, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Likewise.

"Maker culture".....

....is what we "boomers" usta call "DIY'ers" or "hobbyists". Greedy jerks gave it a different name soley to capitalize on the new term.

I have a "Maker" electronics book to make/learn electronics. It's a "spend lotsa $$$$" approach to learning electronics and teaches almost nothing, but I foolishly spent $30 to discover that fact. See the recent closure of "open-source" tech shops? They also called them "Maker" shops.

"Makers" go to "Maker" fairs, write "Maker" books. sell "Maker" junk, etc. It's all jes a scam. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Any opinions on this one (being a 4th edition, it seems to have been around a while). I recently added it to my "wish list".

I'm open to alternatives.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

I wasn't too fond of it. It's much too bulky to be a good reference and too referency to be much of anything else.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

There are soooo many websites teaching electronics, you jes hafta find one you like. Even the entire Navy electronics course is on the net. To pay anyone to learn electronics is a fools game.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yeah, I got that but don't understand what it has to do with the price of oats in China.

Reply to
krw

OK, home maintenance and woodworking, I guess I'm a "maker". Electronics, not so much (working electronics design engineer for >40 years).

Oh, like woodworking and gun shows[*]? Sure (been a while though). ;-)

[*] And dragged kicking and screaming to craft shows
Reply to
krw

It looks an awful lot like the "Electronics for Scientists" text that was popular when I was an undergrad 40-some years back. That text had enough to get you interested but not enough to actually do anything.

The kids today seem to get a Raspberry Pi and futz with it and if the bug bites then they grow from there, if it doesn't then they've got a nice, cheap, low-powered spare computer.

Don't overlook YouTube--there's a lot more there than you might expect--even course content from MIT.

Reply to
J. Clarke

unfortunately they filed chapter 7

so no chance for more funding or any recovery

still have not heard why the overseas techshops are still operating

perhaps deeper pockets or better business acumen or maybe just more members

Reply to
Electric Comet

As a matter of coincidence, since Youtube noticed I was interested a couple of weeks ago, they have been offering me a steady diet. The last video I watched discussed the divergence of the technologies (parts) used by product manufacturers, versus that used by hobbyists, since the

70's say. Basically, robots aren't good at assembling the traditional components that have wires and prefer "flat" components (my words) without long pins. As a results, hobbyists can't quite get the same technology as manufacturers have without being willing to learn to use the flat (and very small) technology, which is much more cumbersome, especially for beginners.

So far, my biggest accomplishment is learning to use (induction) coils, diodes (rectifier?) and a capacitor to convert ac current into direct current (all designed and implemented in a YouTube video!) :) I actually made induction coils (for "shock" value) following instructions from a book ("The Boy Electrician") when I was in 8th grade. I downloaded the book online, just out of sentimental value/curiosity, a few years ago.

Reply to
Bill

There is also a higher mountain of learning needed for many "reasonable" (what do you want that you can't buy cheaply) projects. That's why the Arduino, and such, are popular. Much of the infrastructure is done.

Ham radio has been pretty much killed by the Internet, too, though it was already going downhill well before.

Reply to
krw

And Breaker! Breaker! has been replaced with Ok Google. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yet, that kid (James Kim) who died --and tested and reported on all the latest high-tech communications hand helds-- and almost lost his family, up in OR, mighta survived if he knew some old school morse code (CW) and hadda basic QRP rig.

I'm no ham, but I always wondered about that. QRP is essentially "low pwr" (under 5W), and using CW, can easily reach out with a minor antenna.

If I've learned anything --much like touch-typing-- learn Morse code while yer young. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob