Team USA Curling

It's 01:25 EST. Here's hoping my next post is to congratulate Team USA for winning Olympic Gold.

#TeamUSA #TeamShuster #USACurlingGold

Reply to
DerbyDad03

U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.

10 - 7 over Sweden for the Gold!

It was 5-5 going into the 8th end. Sweden missed their last shot and USA Skip John Shuster used the hammer for a perfect double clear to score 5. The 9th and 10th ends were just a formality at that point.

What a run. From almost eliminated at 2 and 4, followed by 5 straight wins

- 2 of them over three-time defending Gold medalist Canada - to eventually take the Gold.

U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My wife and I were on the edge of our seats watching last night.

We wondered about a few things and realized a few things.

The action is so rigorous we now know why Russia curlers had to dope.

How much technology went into the uniforms?

Did the guy on the Canadian team shave his head to cut down on wind resistance?

Do you think their sponger's budget is over $500?

Will the future Summer Olympics ever have flips and tricks while being launched from a Seesaw? Bail out tricks from a swing set? Hop Scotch? Hide and go seek? Mother May I? Your It/Chase? ;~)

Oh Wait, Red Light Green Light. Almost for got that one.

Reply to
Leon

One question:

Have you ever tried Curling?

Ok, two:

Do you think you could slide a 42 lb rock ~120' down the ice and have it end up within inches of where you planned to put it, especially when your plan is to put it behind 3 rocks that are in the way of your intended target, while at the same time moving other, specific rocks, with your rock and often having *them* also end up where you want them to?

Just asking...

(Yes, the doping thing is really stupid, but I seriously doubt that he doped (if he actually did) to improve his curling skills)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No But I have played shuffle board.

With practice, yes. A lot like shuffle board.

I was just poking fun. Most Olympic sports are either dangerous or test your endurance......

Reply to
Leon

Table or deck?

I'm more of a Boccie guy myself.

Serious question, since I think I've played shuffle board maybe once and I'll bet there was alcohol involved:

Can the shooter cause a shuffle board disk to spin such that it travels in a mostly straight line until it slows, at which point it begins to curl (curve) and can end up behind another disc? I'm speaking about deck shuffleboard, where a cue is used. I assume that one could spin the disks on a table although I don't know that they would curl in the same manner on a curling rock.

I know. Me too. Speaking of endurance, Mike Hamilton, of Team USA, curled for over 40 hours at the Olympics. He curled with his sister in the Mixed Doubles competition and then curled 9 games with the Men's Team.

Obviously, it wasn't 40 straight hours. It was 40 *curling* hours.

(Permission to groan granted)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Come on Leon...no wise cracks about the medals that they gave the men's team? They were engraved with "Women's Curling Gold Medal".

You're falling down on the job. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Are you sure it wasn't an iron medal?

;-)

Reply to
krw

Except the big challenge is not ending up on your ass when you send the rock down the sheet.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It's a lot closer to Bocci ball than shuffle board, and it's not anywhere near as easy as you think it is.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal