Taming my Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw.

I have a 10" Delta table saw that has a motor about to die.

Recently built a slide table for it that is very precise and smooth.

It will crosscut to 25".

In the meantime, I bought a 10" Craftsman Radial Arm Saw for $40 with a great motor.

The RAS in its normal pull is very squiggly.

However, when locked down to a fixed position, it is quite stable.

The light bulb went on in my head and this is what I did:

I mounted the Delta metal table with its extension and mounted it onto a nice hunk of 3/4" plywood to fit the RAS table and a bit more.

I can quickly pivot the entire Delta table to align it with the RAS blade.

I positioned the RAS at its maximum rip position distance and feed it at the blade lifting end.

Using an angle grinder, I cut a small groove into the table saw top to allow the RAS blade to about 1/4" below the surface .

I can now rip about 25" using the table saw top and it original fence.

I can crosscut using the easy on/easy off slide table.

I now have an upside down sideways ripping crosscutting Radial Arm Table Saw!

It is really neat! I never use it as a RAS.

It can angle both ways, easily adjust the blade height, etc.

So far, I have not seen any kickback.

Radial arm saws maybe squirrelly as designed, but in a fixed position, they can be very stable.

I still have a slight play in the head when I shake it, but it still cuts very accurately.

Anyone know the tricks in tightening it up?

Reply to
BoyntonStu