Table saw rust removal

I read a few places that I need to sand with fine grit sandpaper and then use wax to protect the surface. Problem is that all the products I read about are not available in Canada. SC Johnson's Paste Wax and Butchers Paste Wax. Anyone in Canada can suggest a product I can use to protect the surface of my table saw?

Thanks,

Patrick

Reply to
PB

Didn't you post this a while back? Any woodworking store will have surface protector, as will any woodworking catalog. It just isn't that difficult.

Reply to
Toller

Those products are just ordinary paste floor wax. Any brand will do. I usually use an automobile spray wax. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Try SLIPIT which is available from Grizzly. Comes in spray, liquid and brush-on paste. I use the past at the suggestion of a Grizzly rep and it works fine.

Reply to
RonB

If you use automotive wax, make sure it does not have any silicon. Very bad on wood if you ever want to stain or seal.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:16:46 -0400, "PB" scribbled:

Lee Valley has Topcote & Boeshield which I've seen recommended here on the wreck many times. Topcote:

?c=1&p=50252&cat=1,43415,43440&ap=1Crappy Tire also has pure Carnauba wax in their automobile finish area. That should also work. They might also have other products, but I think you know enough not to use anything with silicone in it as it can screw up wood finishing. So don't use turtle wax or other

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Bad idea... the silicone that's in many (not all) automobile waxes will cause fish-eye in many wood finishes. Yes, it *will* come off of the saw table onto your project.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Troller,

No, this is my first post. And I know it's not difficult. I wanted recommendations from people that have MUCH more experience then me.

Thanks for your comment even though you haven't helped.

Reply to
PB

Thanks Luigi, I went to Canadian Tire and asked the person working in the hardware section. This is what he told me. "We sell a silicone based product that protects and make the wood slide easier." He was surprised when I told him that silicone stains wood.

I will try Lee Valley even though they are in Ottawa. At least I won't have to deal with rediculous shipping from the US and the damn duties.

Thanks again and thanks to everyone that helped with my question.

Patrick

Reply to
PB

Slight correction - It doesn't stain wood. But the silicone reacts chemically to some finishes, causing "fish-eye" blotches (so I am told).

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Canadian Tire usually has this stuff in stock, it claims it's pure

wax (which is what you should be us> Thanks Luigi, I went to Canadian Tire and asked the person working in the

Reply to
root

Reply to
Rob Mills
[snip]

I usually wait until November or December to wax my car, it's too damn hot until then. Get out in the yard in my shorts and sandals and give it a good wash job first and then wax away.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

What city are you in? Lee Valley has a number of stores situated in Canadian cities.

Reply to
Upscale

On 7 Sep 2005 00:57:13 GMT, Bruce Barnett scribbled:

But it's ok to use on *finished* wood to make it slide better. Just don't expect new finish to stick on wood that's got silicone on it. But the carnauba wax is in the automobile cleaning section, along with turtle wax and all that.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

I try to wash the truck every couple of years whether it needs it or not. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

WD-40 and 3M scotch-brite heavy duty scrubbing pads are good for removing rust.

Reply to
Frank J. Vitale

I didn't realise that. It probably isn't all that hard to remove... Jim

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" wrote in news:rEYTe.2052$7D1.1020 @newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Naptha, paper towels & elbow grease. Lots of each. Open the windows & doors. Burn the towels safely when done.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

That reminds me. I think it's that year for mine too.

Reply to
CW