Table saw recomendation

I want to get a new table saw and would like recommendations. I have been using a really old (20 years or so) craftsman that I think is only

1 hp. It gets the job done but not very well. The biggest complaint I have about it is the fence. The fence is a complete piece of junk, it is very difficult to move back and forth and you have to measure at the front and rear to be sure it is square. So that is the main thing I am looking for. I want a fence that slides easily from side to side and one that is square when I lock it down. I was thinking about the DeWalt since I have a lot of other DeWalt tools that I like, but it is kind of at the high end of what I want to spend, I would rather keep it in the $500 range if I can. Most of my projects are small and I don't do a lot of wood working so I don't need a very powerful motor for fast cutting, mostly just something that is easier to use and more accurate.

Chris W

Reply to
Chris W

A couple of hundred more, but the Jet or a Delta contractor saw with Biesemeyer fence is superb for your needs. They have cheaper models with stamped wings and a cheaper fence. Tempting, but if you can swing the difference, it will be well worth the extra. Check them out at the local WW tool store.

Just got a flyer today from Woodcraft and Delta is 10% off on Dec. 13. -- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I also have a 20 year old craftsman, only it has a new 2hp motor, fence, pulleys, and belt. (as well as a very fancy switch, dust enclosure, and casters; but I am not sure I can recommend those upgrades unless you get them free like I did.) Its great. If your saw is mechanically sound, just upgrade the lousy components; if you are just doing light stuff, maybe you can economize by keeping the old motor. Besides, this way you don't have to haul the new saw in, and the old one out!

Reply to
Toller

I had a craftsman saw for a long time. for $500, You can find a better saw but NOT a much better saw. I think I paid about $179 for a vega aftermarket fence. It was a huge improvement.

spend $250 on upgrades **or** wait for more money to move up to the next price point

YMMV

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Meier

I've been looking at new saws and like has been said assuming your saw is sound you'll pay a bunch to get not much better than you have now, and if the machines sound you'll bet more bang for $$ from a new fence.

I have to lock my Craftsman fence with C clamps, PITA but works fine when it's aligned.

Reply to
Mark

I upgraded my Grizzly G1022 contractor saw fence to a Shop Fox Original fence. The "orphan" fence taking up space in my single-car garage shop is probably much better than what you have. (It has a micro-adjust feature -- very nice!)

I offered it to a friend for free several months ago but he hasn't picked it up yet. If you are willing to pay the shipping from U.S. zip code 20715 it can be yours for said shipping cost. De-spamify my email to reply if you're interested.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

P.S. The fence is shown on the "G1022SM" on Page 1 of this document:

pictures/descriptions of the fence appear throughout the document.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

That is a generous offer to the original poster. I had a G1022SM and while the fence wasn't the best on the market, it's very sturdy and I thougt it was more than adequate for everything I asked of it. Whoever this was directed at should jump on it with a great deal of gratitude.

Reply to
D. J. Dorn