Table Saw question..

Hi,

I like the look of table saws for my use, but they all seem to have a guard (red in the case of the one below :-)) Please could you tell me if this means they are attached at the back and you could only do cuts up to c.6ins. long.

I am interested in a table saw for ripping large boards. Please could you tell me if a table saw is the right choice.

Cheers, SB

Reply to
SB

Yes, the guard is attached at the back, but the means of attachment is a steel plate (called the splitter) that is directly in line with, and slightly thinner than, the saw blade. As the board is cut, one piece passes to the right of the splitter and the other piece to the left, so the guard and splitter do not impose any limits on the length of the board that can be ripped.

The length of the board that you can rip is limited principally by a) the size of your workshop b) the front-to-back dimension of the table saw (if the saw is too small, a long board will be hard to balance, unless you have some sort of auxiliary support for it, or a helper) c) the weight of the table saw. Very small saws (such as the one in your picture) can be tipped over by heavy boards unless they're fastened down to something.

Yes, but not the little bitty one in that picture. That will work fine for ripping small boards, but for large boards you're going to want a larger saw.

Doug Miller

I blinked twice when I looked at the picture. I thought the guy was trying to cut wood on a Hibachi charcoal grill.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

SB shows:

the wood parts around the splitter as it is cut. Table saws are specifically designed for making long, or short, rip cuts. Anything else is gravy (and there's a lot of gravy).

Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

You got an excellent answer from Doug Miller, but you really need to be on a bigger saw to do anything along the lines of "furniture". I recognize that money's tight - but you should be looking at "benchtops" along the lines of:

patrick conroy

If you really need to rip long boards the machine in the picture will cause nothing but frustration. Putting a long board on that machine might even be unsafe. There are several benchtop saws that undoubtably cost more than this toy, but can handle the job. Take a trip to Lowe's, Home Depot or a local lumber supplier and look for Makita, Delta, Bosch, Hitachi, etc.

Reply to
RonB

====================== I though Dremel had come out with a replacement for their discontinued Table saw they made in the 60's or 70's....

Tim Allen sure would not be impressed with the pictured saw...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.