I have 'inherited', more or less, a 10" Sears contractors saw, circa
2001 or so. Pretty much a dead ringer for the Ridgid TS2424, if that
helps anyone picture what I'm talkng about. The saw had been kind of
abused, and I'd been fixing it up while tool-sitting for the owner.
Long story short, I ended up w/ the saw. It has new link belts and
machined pulleys from WoodCraft, and a new cabinet/housing around all
the gears. Some of miscellaneous plastic doodads, like on the end of
the rails are missing.
Right now I'm in somewhat of an unusual spot. Keep the saw, and fix it
up further as I go, or sell it for what its worth (about what I've got
into it, honestly) and put the money towards something else that is less
The Align-A-Rip fence system has been badly abused, in more ways than
one. Right now its about as useful as a piece of channel and some
C-Clamps. The miter slots (the left one for sure) seem to have wide
spots and narrow spots in them, as I have a heck of a time getting any
kind of runner to work consistently over the entire length of the slot.
The factory guard and splitter are crap, though that seems to be the
norm w/ most contractors saws.
Is it feasible to *carefully*
file down the 'high' spots in the miter
slots, and get them to work better? It appears, after measureing w/ a
digital caliper (Mitutoyo) that the left slot goes 0.746-748-744 (front,
center, back) and the right slot goes 0.745-0.761-0.752. Or is this
something that is more likely to end up FUBAR if I mess w/ it?
So it is looking like ~$100 for a Merlin splitter, which seems to be
about the only aftermarket splitter available for this saw, and
$250-300+ for a Vega or Biese fence system for it. So possibly $400 to
upgrade a saw that definitely wasn't my first choice to begin w/.
Other options seem to consist of sell it, and put the funds towards a
small saw like a BT3x00, which honestly, seems to do everything I need,
and more. Just concerned about it holding up to the everyday rigors of
life around my shop (btwn teenagers w/ vehicles, motorcycles, their
friends over, and then finally myself, who has been likened to a 'bull
in a china closet' in the past ;p ). Other possibilty is sell it and
put the funds plus some portion of what it would cost to upgrade it
towards a better contractors saw, probably of Grizzly persuasion, that's
still a ways out so not a big issue.
So what would you do, in this situation, given these options? I'm
somewhat open to other options, but some (like go buy last saw first
i.e. cabinet saw) are pretty unlikely at this point for a variety of
I realize that ultimately, since it's my money, and I'm the one that
hase to work w/ the saw I end up with, it's my decision and no one can
really make it for me. But I am curious what others would do (or have
done) in this scenario.
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.
Click to see the full signature.