table saw burn marks

I have an old ( circa 1958) craftsman contractor saw that I've used for years with no problems. Recently moved to new home and, although I'm going to tune-up everything on the saw I haven't done that yet. Had to rip an oak board and noticed that the cut face of the cutoff piece had saw burn marks on it. The cut piece was as good as you can get with a W.W.II Forrest blade.

Anything special I should check for when I do he tune-up?

Thanx,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Could be caused by internal stresses in the wood. The first thing I'd do is rip another board, to verify that the problem really is in the saw.

If it looks like it is the saw, then probably the fence toes out from the blade excessively. First verify that the blade is parallel to the miter slots; then make the fence parallel also.

Doug Miller

Make sure the fence is parallel to the blade or is toed slightly out at the back. Make sure the feed rate is sufficiently fast to avoid burning. Is your blade sharp? Make sure the splitter is adjusted correctly.

David

Vic Bar> I have an old ( circa 1958) craftsman contractor saw that I've used for

Reply to
David

Try these: the blade must be parallel to the fence, the blade is damaged or needs sharpening, the blade is installed backwards. If it burned just one piece of oak and not another, it could be due to internal stress in the wood. Sounds like a very nice saw at that age.

Reply to
Phisherman

Makes no difference how far the fence toes out after the cut, as long as pressure against the fence ceases as the cut begins.

Oak is notorious for casehardening in the kiln. It produces precisely the symptoms you mention.

Reply to
George

Thanx for the suggestions - turns out it must have been the internal stress thing. Ripped a few more pieces and also some pine - slick as a whistle - no burn marks. Finished unpacking the last of the tools so this weekend it will be tune-up time for all my larger tools. No matter how careful you are in wrapping and protecting, I'm sure some fences, etc. got bumped and may be out of alignment. Also, considering I live in Southern California and when I went out to the back this AM, the water in the birdbath was frozen solid I think some of my tools are suffering from climatic change :)

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

This is somewhat ambiguous. To clarify, pressure should be applied against the fence during the entire time of the cut, but only on the portion of the wood that has not yet been cut.

.. which, of course, is precisely the reason I advised him to first try a different board, before checking for problems with the saw...

Doug Miller

Time for a little payback toward all you obnoxious fair weather it's-February-and-I'm-surfing So-Cal people. Here in the mountains of Virginia, it was 65 F in the shade.

Take THAT! Hah!

:)

Reply to
Silvan

One week ago today I actually scrapped a bit of ice off the windshield of my truck about 5:30 AM ... in Houston! A day later it was back in the upper

70's. I've got a framing crew working, and considering the amount of rain we've had, they've only lost two days work in 14, not counting Thanksgiving day. It's absolutely amazing how much work can be done without the 100 degree heat slowing things down.
Reply to
Swingman