Steam bending redwood

Does anyone have any experience with steam bending redwood?? I have been asked to make an arch 9" wide with about a 3' radius, 3/4" thick. The wood has not been kiln dried so that will help. It has been air dried. Steaming might be easier than a bent lamination but I have no experience with redwood. Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Haveman

The only redwood I steam bent was also laminated from 3/16" pieces. Belt and suspenders time as I was under the gun and the end units had some pretty tight radii. The stuff bent fine and with a 3' radius you shouldn't have any problem.

RicodJour

Redwood is notorious for splintering. You may need to use both lamination and steam. Expect 3-4% springback.

Reply to
Phisherman

I don't.

Personally since you have a 3' radius and only 3/4" thickness is required, I'd probably laminate three (3), 1/4" thick pieces in one pass using laminating epoxy with a slow hardner to get 25-30 minutes of open time.

If you try to steam it, you will be under the gun the whole time.

Epoxy gives you some breathing room.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or constrain the wood on both sides to eliminate the splintering.

RicodJour