Anyone steam bending?

I'm on a path to make a small skirt for a round table about 19.5" diameter. Laminated maple strips in the past for a corner table and had both male & female parts to clamp the strips while the glue dried. Now have a circular form but no counterparts to clamps laminations so am planning on strap clamps. Googled for Gregg Germain who used to post here and is experienced with steam bending but couldn't/didn't find relevant material.

Reply to
nospambob

Hi bob, Not sure of what your questions is but we have used the clamps below when bending some aprons. Cheers, JG

Reply to
JGS

Very good article in the last issue of Wood magazine on bending legs for a table they had. I tried it on 3/4" thick oak and they bent very easily. I did soak them for one week inside a pvc pipe before steaming. This was kiln dried lumber. You steam for 1 hour for every inch. That's full steaming. Just used a cheap tea kittle from WalMart.

Reply to
tdup2

I recently put an edge on a similar sized round table. I cut the size that I wanted the end product to be out of a square plywood that I was using for the top. I then cut the circle down to the size that I wanted the starting point to be. The edge added up to be about 1/4 of an inch.

You now cut the outside form which is square with a hole in it into four pieces. You can then use these pieces to push in to hold your edge trim in on your table. I made a square frame larger than the four pieces and two sets of wooden wedges. The frame was some 1 bye screwed to a particle board base.

Put the circle of the table in the center of the square frame. Insert the trim between the table top and the scrap circle holding pieces and then use the wooden wedges to push and hold the whole sandwitch together until everything dries.

If you want I can send you some pictures to better explain what I did.

Good luck.

Al

Reply to
Al Holstein

Reply to
nospambob

When I steam bent my table legs I raised the one end of the pvc about an inch and all the water drained back into the tea kettle. It seamed good for almost an hour and a half without having to add any water.

Tim

Reply to
tdup2

Reply to