Sanding Oak Plywood Question

I am building a set of shelves using oak plywood.

My question is, what grit does the manufacturer use? Can I start with 150, or do I start at 100? I know I will finish at 220. __________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

I usually start with 150 on hardwood plywood. Very occasionally, with a crappy or mishandled material, I'll use 120.

When I'm staining it, I stop at 150, as well.

For straight-up clears, it's 150 -> sanding sealer -> 220 -> finish coats.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It's already been done at 150, I'm sure. If you haven't hacked it, wipe with a damp rag, let dry, sand by hand (backed) with 220. More than 150 on peeled oak is slight overkill, but you don't want to be too aggressive and end up with the latewood proud of the early.

Reply to
George

I start and finish with 220. 100 may take you right through the veneer if you are not careful.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

150 to start and finish with hardwood plywood. Anything finer is for between coats.
Reply to
Father Haskell

I agree and easy on the sanding the veneer is very thin "Father Haskell" wrote in

Reply to
Lee

If it's anything like the oak plywood around here, do not let the 100 grit get anywhere near it. The face veneer is thinner than paper and you can sand through it in seconds with 100 grit. Even the 150 is chancy. You may be able to start with the 220, if necessary use 150 very lightly, or 180 first.

Reply to
Larry W