Steam bending oak

Cant see why not. Spose it depends whether your first bent shape will fit back in your steaming chamber for another go?

Reply to
Jimk

My query is..... is it possible to steam bend white oak more than once if required?

Not having bent any wood before I was wondering, if, in the event that that it springs back too much, is it possible to repeat the process using different placings for the clamping blocks?

Reply to
Bazza

Assuming you can still fit it in your steaming enclosure, then yup - or at least as well as it bent the first time. (Kiln dried wood bends less well than air dried I am told).

The usual route is to over bend a bit so that when it relaxes after release from the bending form, it is hopefully where you wanted in the first place.

Reply to
John Rumm

yes

yes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are two ways of steam bending (1) You put the wood in a containers and pass steam into the container. (2) You thoroughly soak the wood and then heat with torches/wood fire outdoors, gradually warming it through. The latter is the traditional way.

harry

Only two!

What about a microwave?

polygonum_on_google

First:

"My Top 10 Reasons Why Steam Bending Wood Fails | Engels Coach Shop"

Not much springback when he does it...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I love the utter bullshit that permeates the video 'water that is repeatedly boiled loses its wetness'

'you can't bend conifers' etc etc.

HE cant. Other people can...

Reminds of Hugh Fearnley Wittingstall

'A rolling boil is hotter than simmering'

Utter bollocks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

An excellent link, thanks!