Problems nailing oak trim

I am building Norm's router table. He finshes the edges of the plywood carcass with 3/4" x 3/4" oak trim. I have done this before on another project but I glued and clamped it. Since this is not a piece of furniture and there was a lot of trim to put on I decided to use glue and 3D finishing nails. I drilled pilot holes for each of the nails but 50% of them bent and I had to do them again. I wonder if I should have been using a different nail or.....................

I'd appreciate your suggestions for the future. I don't plan on buying a brad nailer anytime soon so I need to figure out how to solve this problem for the next project I do that needs nailing through oak.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Have you considered a nail spinner?

igor

just glue and clamps is better.

Reply to
bridger

Reply to
Dick Snyder

USE GLUE and drill the holes a bit undersized AND all the way through.

Reply to
Leon

You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head off one of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill your pilot hole.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail is not a drill bit.

Reply to
Battleax

Nailspinner is useless. Just drill the pilot hole larger or deeper as needed. This is pretty simple stuff here guys

Reply to
Battleax

Wanna bet?

David

Battleax wrote:

Reply to
David

Pretty standard trim carpenter trick if waxed nails don't work.

DanG

Quite quickly will the nail will spin through the wood.

Reply to
Leon

Sure it will go through if you push hard enough, but it's poor practice

Reply to
Battleax

Seen it recommended often enough.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Actually, this works very well. I do it all the time in hickory and it's harder than oak.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan Berguson

My thunder is almost gone, but hard trim nails work better than regular, and you can grind the head off easier than cutting it.

Reply to
BUB 209

Never tried it, have you? This has been a common practice since shortly after man invented fire and used it to keep his Neanderthal wood shop warm. It actually works very well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Not real hard at all. Poor practice? Why would you say such a thing?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually with finish nail sized nails, they go through with not much effort at all. The key is to use a corded drill that will spin the nail quickly.

Reply to
Leon

I've found the spinners handy for installing oak stair treads for 20 years.... I guess I could have saved 3 or 4 years if I hadn't been using it?

Reply to
Eric Ryder

The real problem with using a nail is that it denies one the pleasure of buying the proper tool for the job

Reply to
Al Reid