Steam bend canary wood - 3/8" thick

Is canary wood good for steam bending? I have a strip 3/8"x3"x36" that I want to have an 18" radius. Will bending to a 17" radius allow for springback? I've read that the rule of thumb is one hour or steaming per inch of thickness. For 3/8" thickness is 25 minutes appropriate?

Thanks

Mitch

Reply to
MB

Mitch-- 3/8 seems thick for bending. as I recall, canary is kind of oily, like a rosewood. Having never bent anything that thick, i'll refer you to the guitar forum. rec . music . makers . builders BTW, almost any wood can be bent. When I made my staircase I bent the handrail by resawing to 1/4 & didn't need any steam at all. Of course, the radius was 3 feet. When I bent the wood for my mandolin, the maple was 1/8" thick & I just soaked for about 10 min & steamed over a hot pipe. Also, check this site:

Phil at small (vs at large)