Stanley Combination Plane 45E

I have just bought a Stanley combination plane 45E via ebay. Unfortunately the instructions are missing. Is there a source where I can get a photocopy of the original instructions. Also I would like to buy some additional cutters. Where can I get a list of the cutters once available and is there a source for secondhand cutters? Thanks for helping Kai

Reply to
Kai Koethe

Kai?, That's twice in two days I've heard the name. Scandinavian/Dutch/Somewhere up in that region we 'Muricans can never quite identify on a map?

Anyway, enough about you. Stan Faullin is your man. Go to his Web page and start clicking on the Stanley links. He has instruction manuals available in PDF form.

who somewhere in all of this mess probably has a copy but couldn't lay his hands on it to save the farm...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Unfortunately

Reply to
Maverick

Here is some information including links to descriptions of all the cutters and optionial bottoms:

Leach buys and sells Stanley planes and other good quality antique handtools so you might email him as to what he has available for the 45.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 08:15:17 -0500, "Maverick" sugsested:

"no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

I believe St. James Bay Tool Co. sells cutter blanks made out of tool steel that you can use to grind custom profiles. I visited their website a couple days ago, but tonight I tried and it's not there. Hopefully it's a temporary hiccup.

Layne

Reply to
Anonymous

You will need to cut, file, or slowly grind them if they are low-alloy high carbon tool steel. If you use a high speed grinder you will anneal them. IIRC, the annealing temperature for O-1 or W-1 is about 325 F.

Not knocking the idea, just pointing this out.

If you really are into making your own you can buy O-1 or W-1, shape it, heat it to the Curie temperature with a torch, quench it in olive oil or tap water and anneal it in an ordinary oven.

I bought mine off of eBay, the cutters do sometimes show up.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Yeah, they show up all the time. You've gotta be patient though; I finally picked up a set of straight cutters for about $25, all in decent user shape.

Regards, JT

Reply to
John Thomas