Stanley 10 1/2 C for $225?

I saw this plane at an antique show this weekend. It's got the corrugated sole, which *appeared* to be authentic.

Is this a reasonable price? It was in good condition.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I was at an auction yesterday and they had a bunch of planes with corrugated soles. What is that good for? (Didn't pay any attention to what they went for)

Reply to
toller

The corrugation is for less contact with tacky, sticky, sappy, self lubricating woods. Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

then click "Patrick's Blood and Gore", it the ultimate Stanley hand plane learning site, very nice for free too. Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Just what is a corrugated sole _for_ on a rebate plane ? I do timber framing in green larch, which must be just about the worst case for resin troubles, and I've never had cause for one.

Collect or use ? More than I'd pay for a user, but it seems reasonable for a collector-grade corrugated, if you're into that stuff. My last #10 1/2 cost me £60 (what's that ? $100 ?)

Always hard to tell on the #10s. Watch for cracks on the mouth (I've been known to Magnaflux them) and watch out for remaining iron lifetime.

What's the best option for replacement irons on a #10 1/2 ? I bought my last one wide and ground it down, which is a bit of a chore. Is anyone making them ready-to-wear ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

they're for making corrugated cardboard. sheesh, everybody knows that....

Reply to
bridger

If Ron Hock doesn't stock 'em, he'll make 'em for a price.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I got one from Ron Hock last week. Well, actually I bought it through Craftsman Studios (their part number HBP010), but it's a Hock iron. He makes and heat-treats that style locally (at least he did the one I got), so it's not ground flat after HT. As a result the back needed flattening, but, as of now, it's doing a fine job.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch