staining a wood starcase

What are the steps for satining an old wood stair case? The steps had been stained and then carpeted over, and on the first four or five steps, there's a darker stain on the tips. Some of the steps seem to have extra stains (like someone spilled stain). The wood appears to be maple. I'm a newbie, and I've heard that if you sand you can reshape the wood. Also, that you have to treat the wood with stain remover first. Then, after you stain one coat, let the stairs site for three days before you can walk on them. And that you might have to do two coats and then put some sort of poly treatment for protection, so is that like three seperate three-day drying periods? (All the bedrooms in our house are on the second floor!)

- JB

Reply to
JB

nospambob