Staining a weathered wood deck

Planning to use a cedar-colored, oil-based stain. Salesman say that by priming it first, the stain will last longer (I guess he meant will retain its new look longer). Any truth to that?

Thanks,

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

What idiot said that , one from HD . Prime with what Primer? Primer is for paint not stain. If deck is weathered grey a semi transparent grey color would work, But you want Cedar color so use a deck cleaner, powerwash and use semi transparent stain. Read Consumer Reports ongoing paint and stain tests, and get advise from a real paint store with real painters.

Reply to
m Ransley

I'd like to see what a 'pro' would say about that, but IMHO, the whole idea of 'stain' is something that soaks into the wood. Primers are used to seal the wood so that paint will stick to the surface. Do you want to paint the surface or stain the wood?

BTW, pressure washing first might help.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

Yea - Never heard of priming before stain. Sounds very weird. Read the can, follow the directions. Look for Sikkens for stain, I have had good results.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No